Tip us?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcdunnough View Post
I rooted my Chromecast with ver 2.0 of Eureka-Rom and it works great. I had used Flashcast 1.1.1 when I first did this. I am slightly confused regarding the OTA. The OP post now mentions a newer Flashcast (1.2) and a newer Eureka-Rom which fixes some ssl issues and so on ...

Do I have to redo my USB stick with a newer Flashcast and then manually upgrade to the newest ROM or is there something I have to do to get the Chromecast to upgrade to the latest Eureka-Rom?

I am a bit reluctant to redo things manually, especially since everything works great. On the other hand, I wouldn't want the root aspect to be lost because of some security issue.
Aside: is it possible for the TV's remote to play/pause videos running on Chromecast via HDMI-CEC?
The OP FlashCast is for manual OTG install. If you have Eureka-ROM OTA updates enabled, just wait a while. All Eureka-ROM Chromecasts should update within the next few days. You can also power-cycle the Chromecast (check that it's idle first!) to give it a nudge if it hasn't already applied the update. One of my two active Chromecasts has updated already - the other has not yet (might be because I was using it late night the past few nights).

If you are going to manually flash anything, then you should download the newer FlashCast, write the image to your stick (remember that the new minimum size is 256 MB - it used to be 128 MB), boot it on Chromecast to get the FAT32 partition made, then put the eureka_image.zip on it and boot it to flash, just like usual.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

morchu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have not done this (dont have access to my rooted chromecast now), but I think it is possible to do it manually without using a flash device.

I believe flashcast is already installed in one of the chromecast partitions, if you already had EurekaROM. There should be a way to reboot to this flashcast without using usb. Once you are in flashcast, you should be able to use adb or ssh to login, and do a manual update using flash_image binary.

I can see this being a bit risky for regular users, and there is absolutely no need for them to do that. The folks who maintain EurekaROM had done an excellent job in creating some good "almost" failsafe methods for regular users. But if you are one of those guys who just want to be doing every step manually then ...

-morchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcdunnough View Post
Do I have to redo my USB stick with a newer Flashcast and then manually upgrade to the newest ROM or is there something I have to do to get the Chromecast to upgrade to the latest Eureka-Rom?