5,606,588 Members 36,148 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[4.4 ROOT] [BOUNTY] New Root Method Exploit or Full Bootloader Unlock Droid Maxx

Tip us?

Ivanstein
Old
Thanks Meter 20
So, why doesn't the big V or Moto just offer it for a nominal fee? You have to sign all the typical waivers and give up your first born and such, then you can root your device. Sounds like the difference between a developer edition and a normal one is just a pool of numbers that are reserved for the elite few who want to cough up the extra cash. I'd pay moto or V the $40 to root it. Rather them than some one in a foreign country anyway.

Seems like a company who is all about monetizing every last bit of every last byte is missing out on a few bucks.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

akellar
Old
Thanks Meter 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanstein View Post
So, why doesn't the big V or Moto just offer it for a nominal fee? You have to sign all the typical waivers and give up your first born and such, then you can root your device. Sounds like the difference between a developer edition and a normal one is just a pool of numbers that are reserved for the elite few who want to cough up the extra cash. I'd pay moto or V the $40 to root it. Rather them than some one in a foreign country anyway.

Seems like a company who is all about monetizing every last bit of every last byte is missing out on a few bucks.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Control.
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.

br0adband
Old
Thanks Meter 342
Because they don't give a damn about customers, that's why. If Verizon could have had these devices GSM locked they would have done it like every other device they ever had Motorola (or other companies) but luckily - for the consumer, at least - we have them GSM unlocked because of the deal Verizon made for the additional spectrum they now own.

Could be worse, I suppose.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Motorola honestly, but whatever contract they have with Verizon after all these years must have one hell of a bunch of constraints in it - I can only imagine how much Verizon paid them long ago to still have that kind of control over things.

Aside from the original Droid phone, they really haven't had a massively popular one, not even the RAZR series pulled in the same kinds of numbers.

I don't suspect with Lenovo taking over Motorola Mobility in the next 18 months or so will change things at all either.
Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Express (again) with CM11 Official Snapshot M5...

FelixNZ
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Would also pitch in $20 towards the bounty for root on my new droid mini, which was advertised as unupdated, but it seems they're coming straight out of the retailers with 4.4 on them now?

br0adband
Old
Thanks Meter 342
4.4 has been out for quite a while now (at least in terms of smartphone OS lifespans) so the chances of you getting a 4.2.2 device from the factory or brand new in the box at this point is almost been null and void.

It could happen, but probability would say it won't...
Currently using a Samsung Galaxy Express (again) with CM11 Official Snapshot M5...

FelixNZ
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cheers, weird to think of it as old now, as most other manufacturers are only just getting their updates out now, My Wife is still waiting for Kitkat on her S4 mini. Ironically I went with Moto because they seem to be much better at rolling out updates, unfortunately that seems to have bit me in the ass this time!

br0adband
Old
Thanks Meter 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixNZ View Post
Cheers, weird to think of it as old now, as most other manufacturers are only just getting their updates out now, My Wife is still waiting for Kitkat on her S4 mini. Ironically I went with Moto because they seem to be much better at rolling out updates, unfortunately that seems to have bit me in the ass this time!
Motorola isn't the one primarily responsible for when the update to 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 comes, Verizon is because they keep putting so many things in it and adding restrictions, etc. Someone from Motorola even commented on it a few days ago in some company blog in some manner, pretty easy to read between the lines of what he/she was saying aka "We'd love to drop the update to users but the carrier is being freakin' stupid with crap..."

Yes, the Droid Ultra/MAXX/Mini is made by Motorola but it's done under contract for Verizon specifically so Verizon is the one controlling all those strings, so to speak.

The Moto X of course is mainly the same device (X8 chipset based) but it's a true Google/Motorola product and obviously will get updates faster because there's no direct carrier in the way unless you buy a carrier branded Moto X, of course, in which case you'd just end up getting stuck once more waiting on the carrier(s) to get their crap together and push an update whenever they do.

FelixNZ
Old
(Last edited by FelixNZ; 17th April 2014 at 02:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Which is so annoying! I'm not in the US, so never going to use Verizon's network, Both my wife and I imported our phones because the selection here is very small, and you either get a low-end phone barely capable of running the OS on its own, or a "my screen size is compensating for something, and being able to text with a single hand is soooo 2000's" flagship, no inbetween available through normal channels at all (Or when it occasionally does, it's a year or so after the rest of the world). And yet we're still hampered by a company that will never have any interaction from us. Is the Verizon kickbacks really so big that it outweighs what Moto would make by just selling their phones to the rest of the world? I honestly don't see how it could..

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixNZ View Post
Which is so annoying! I'm not in the US, so never going to use Verizon's network, Both my wife and I imported our phones because the selection here is very small, and you either get a low-end phone barely capable of running the OS on its own, or a "my screen size is compensating for something, and being able to text with a single hand is soooo 2000's" flagship, no inbetween available through normal channels at all (Or when it occasionally does, it's a year or so after the rest of the world). And yet we're still hampered by a company that will never have any interaction from us. Is the Verizon kickbacks really so big that it outweighs what Moto would make by just selling their phones to the rest of the world? I honestly don't see how it could..
The new Droids were never meant to be anything but Verizon phones. Moto said that they wouldn't be making international versions of these, unlike previous Droid models. If you bought them, caveat emptor - you should have known that, and it's nobody's fault but yours for buying a phone that wasn't meant to be used on anything but Verizon.

And, just to clarify - there are no "kickbacks". Verizon owns the brand name "Droid" in the US. In the past they have contracted with multiple OEMs to make Droid phones for them - Moto, HTC, and Samsung all made at least one Droid brand. With these new models, Verizon and Motorola signed a contract last summer that made Motorola the exclusive maker of all Droid phones for Verizon. This was never said, but I suspect that part of that deal was that the phones are exclusive to Verizon - no more Milestone brands of the same model sold internationally.

That's just the way it is. Frankly, if you're not on Verizon, you probably shouldn't buy a Droid brand phone, even if it does technically work on your network, because Verizon is under no obligation to ensure that it continues to work that way with future updates.

FelixNZ
Old
(Last edited by FelixNZ; 17th April 2014 at 04:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Well excuse me for not knowing the intricacies of carrier deals that don't otherwise affect me in any way!
All the previous driods have been available internationally at some point (I was originally going to get the Droid Razr M, But thought it better to get the newer edition for longer term use reasons, guess that backfired!) so assumed that trend would continue, and for some bizarre reason no-one else in the world makes higher performance small screen/phone width devices. In any case, once a SU ability has (potentially) been found, carrier bloatware is a non-issue, Hence my contribution!