Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,794 Members 47,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Using Mac laptop for bluetooth internet tethering

Tip us?

bobseger99
Old
(Last edited by bobseger99; 31st March 2014 at 01:52 PM.) Reason: Update on what works and what doesn't
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Using Mac laptop for bluetooth internet tethering

I am getting my internet now from my Mac Air computer using Open Garden. I thought there might be a way to pair the Mac with the Samsung Galaxy Gear and found a free program called Open Garden. This is my first post so I cannot paste the link.

By downloading Open Garden on both devices they will make a bluetooth connection and make internet sharing possible.

What I found is that some of my apps i.e. Beyond Pod, CNN, Browser, NPR News, Scanner Radio do work.

But my Google Maps, and Google Now Search, do not connect to the internet.

Please let me know if this works for anyone else.

Updated: Mar 31, 2014: I discovered that by enabling mobile spoofing this allows internet service to work for Google Maps and Google Now search. The only app that I use that doesn't work is Google Play. I can search for apps but cannot install them. P.S. I also installed Open Garden on my Galaxy Note2 and now I can use wifi instead of mobile data to connect the Galaxy Gear to the internet when I am at work or home.

ronfurro
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Have you tried enabling network spoofer on the Gear to see if that may allow you to use Google services?

ronfurro
Old
(Last edited by ronfurro; 17th April 2014 at 11:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Thanks Bobseger99 for posting this app!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.MeshClient

This is a great solution for Android devices that dont have native BT PAN. Only wish that they would release an iphone compatable app.
Tags
bluetooth tethering, open garden