OTA Updates [ROM][4/13/14] GPE for M8VZW

OP timothyl88

16th April 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
I recently flashed my HTC One M8 with [ROM][4/13/14] GPE for M8VZW. Curently the rom is a little laggy and the camera is really slow. How will I be able to update the rom? Will it update OTA? Any idea when the lag issues will be fixed?

Thanks
16th April 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #2  
Syracuse
Thanks Meter: 58

472 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyl88

I recently flashed my HTC One M8 with [ROM][4/13/14] GPE for M8VZW. Curently the rom is a little laggy and the camera is really slow. How will I be able to update the rom? Will it update OTA? Any idea when the lag issues will be fixed?

Thanks

It's all on the ROM developers... I would suggest you post this question in that ROM's thread for best response. Custom ROMs will not update "OTA" since you have a custom recovery on your phone. You will have to rely on the Devs to provide new ROM versions with the OTA updates "embedded" in them. (Though, I think if there is a Firmware update, you can manually apply it once someone posts a process for doing so on S-Off/Unlocked M8's)
The Following User Says Thank You to WorldOfJohnboy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfJohnboy

It's all on the ROM developers... I would suggest you post this question in that ROM's thread for best response. Custom ROMs will not update "OTA" since you have a custom recovery on your phone. You will have to rely on the Devs to provide new ROM versions with the OTA updates "embedded" in them. (Though, I think if there is a Firmware update, you can manually apply it once someone posts a process for doing so on S-Off/Unlocked M8's)

I would post but cant since I just created an account. When flashing an update to the rom will it reset all my settings so I have to go through the setup process again?
16th April 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 32

140 posts
Quote:

I would post but cant since I just created an account. When flashing an update to the rom will it reset all my settings so I have to go through the setup process again?

you should not have to if youre just flashing a newer version over the same ROM but just an older version, UNLESS the dev says to wipe, in which case you will have to go through setup all over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abe21599 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 59

600 posts
Quote:

Ideally, it's always better to do a clean install when you flash any ROM, just to prevent any possible issues from coming up. However, it's not always necessary when you're just flashing an update to a ROM you're already running. Though if the update includes a new version of Android, it's usually highly recommended to do a clean install. And if you're running one ROM and decide to switch to another, a clean install is recommended again, if not absolutely necessary.

I would recommend checking out Titanium Backup or Helium. They're both app backup solutions (if you decide you want to start checking out different ROM's more often, you'll be very happy you have this) that will let you restore your apps and app settings after a clean flash/wipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfreemanoh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #6  
Syracuse
Thanks Meter: 58

472 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As Abe and sfreemanoh have already stated, that too is up to the Developer. If you are changing ROMs (Example: Have Stock ROM that's S-Off/Rooted and decide to flash ViperOneM8), you really need to Factory Reset your phone. Titanium, Helium, or MyBackup are three ways to save your Application/System data before your wipe.

If you are merely updating your current ROM version (Example: ViperOneM8 v1.0 to v1.5), the Developer should always post what needs to happen. In many cases, if there are just minor updates, the Devs will say it's OK to "Dirty Flash" without a wipe. Sometimes Devs always tell you to wipe and do a clean install. (ViperOne actually has "OTA" update files, which is basically a smaller update file that you can dirty flash.)
The Following User Says Thank You to WorldOfJohnboy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Thanks guys for the answers.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread