Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,510 Members 55,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

moving music and other files.

Tip us?

justin24
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default moving music and other files.

So I am trying to move music from my internal memory to my external micro SD card and I keep getting a error saying the transfer failed or when I try to delete a movie from my SD it won't delete. This is also using a brand new micro SD card. Is this a known issue due to KitKat?

johnomaz
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin24 View Post
So I am trying to move music from my internal memory to my external micro SD card and I keep getting a error saying the transfer failed or when I try to delete a movie from my SD it won't delete. This is also using a brand new micro SD card. Is this a known issue due to KitKat?
Its not an issue, its a 'feature' that google implemented. Only the app that created the data/folders can move them. So if the files were put on the internal memory by app A, then only app A can move them instead of using a file manager. Its stupid and annoying and I'm waiting for a patch to stop the madness.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnomaz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

justin24
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Thank you for the info. Hope they fix that soon

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TriBeard
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin24 View Post
Thank you for the info. Hope they fix that soon

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
It won't be "fixed" ever, as it's not broken. That's how google wants it. The theory is that it's to address security concerns, as well as keep the SD card from getting as cluttered with apps throwing their stuff all over the place. If you want to make it how it used to be before kit-kat, rooting is probably your best/only option. If HTC had included a file manager, you could at least move files around on the card and transfer them to and from it as OEM/System level file managers can still do that. Since they didn't though, it makes it worse.