Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 41,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I537 Root

Tip us?

Papote13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default I537 Root

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active SGH-I537 on carrier AT&T and have tried to unlock unsuccessfully. I have a couple of months left on the warranty but want to use it on my carrier. I was thinking of rooting it and unlocking with regionlock away, but want to be sure if something goes wrong I can go back to the stock ROM. This assuming of course it doesn't get completely bricked and can send it to Samsung for whatever repair.
Can this be done without Samsung detecting it was rooted? If so what would be my best course of action?

I am on 4.3 with MF1 baseband.

jkeuclid
Old
Thanks Meter 76

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papote13 View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active SGH-I537 on carrier AT&T and have tried to unlock unsuccessfully. I have a couple of months left on the warranty but want to use it on my carrier. I was thinking of rooting it and unlocking with regionlock away, but want to be sure if something goes wrong I can go back to the stock ROM. This assuming of course it doesn't get completely bricked and can send it to Samsung for whatever repair.
Can this be done without Samsung detecting it was rooted? If so what would be my best course of action?

I am on 4.3 with MF1 baseband.
Grab the stock FW from here and flash with ODIN.
Samsung AT&T GS4 Active SGH-i537 KK 4.4.2
Towelrooted (v3) Courtesy of geohot
LG G2 (AT&T D800) KK 4.4.2 (Wife's)
Rooted via IOroot25 with Cloudyfa's AutoRec Recovery
bender_007's Reboot to recovery/reboot/poweroff widget

Papote13
Old
(Last edited by Papote13; 17th April 2014 at 07:13 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I just now rooted the phone using the method from this page using SafeRoot and Disable Knox. I did have to flash the pwnedkernel Modem in CP using ODIN 3.09 from here. Now that I was rooted, I installed and ran RegionUnlock Away from here.

I finally flashed the modem using to originalkernel.tar.md5 in CP using ODIN and flashed.

I now have my SGH-I537 phone rooted and unlocked.

Using the method I mentioned above, if I ever want to UNROOT and leave no trace, what is the correct way to do so?

Would Flashing the stock firmware be enough?

Thanks.