Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,848 Members 37,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help upgrading to KitKat + re-rooting?

Tip us?

Jesse402
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Help upgrading to KitKat + re-rooting?

Hey guys! So, just a quick recap of my life with my Verizon Galaxy S4: I got it back in June and rooted it (using "I545ALL-IN-ONE-TOOL") within a couple hours of having it up and running. It is my first Android phone. I then disabled the service that persistently alerted me of Android updates (so that I would keep my root). I now would like to update to KitKat.

Currently, here are my phone's software specifications (I apologize if I include unnecessary information!):

Model number: SCH-I545
Android version: 4.2.2
Baseband version: I545VRUAMDK
Kernel version: 3.4.0-562219
Build number: JDQ39.I545VRUAMDK

I am just kind of lost as to how I would go about updating to KitKat. I would like to keep TouchWiz, because I use the IR and Camera features, as well as a few other things here and there that I would miss if I lost.

Finally, once I'm up to TouchWiz KitKat, I would like to root it, so I could disable/remove some bloaty parts of TouchWiz and just the general perks of rooting.

I have tried to look through the stickies a few times to find out how to do it on my own, but I kinda got confused.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and let me know if any further information is needed.

Oishikatta
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse402 View Post
Hey guys! So, just a quick recap of my life with my Verizon Galaxy S4: I got it back in June and rooted it (using "I545ALL-IN-ONE-TOOL") within a couple hours of having it up and running. It is my first Android phone. I then disabled the service that persistently alerted me of Android updates (so that I would keep my root). I now would like to update to KitKat.

Currently, here are my phone's software specifications (I apologize if I include unnecessary information!):

I am just kind of lost as to how I would go about updating to KitKat. I would like to keep TouchWiz, because I use the IR and Camera features, as well as a few other things here and there that I would miss if I lost.

Finally, once I'm up to TouchWiz KitKat, I would like to root it, so I could disable/remove some bloaty parts of TouchWiz and just the general perks of rooting.

I have tried to look through the stickies a few times to find out how to do it on my own, but I kinda got confused.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and let me know if any further information is needed.
I would suggest simply flashing Echoe since you're on MDK: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2702592

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Quote:

be aware that kitkat is not rootable on verizon phones yet
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

Jesse402
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
be aware that kitkat is not rootable on verizon phones yet
What is the "Echoe" thing then? It says it's pre-rooted, and is 4.4.2.

epicroot
Old
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oishikatta View Post
I would suggest simply flashing Echoe since you're on MDK: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2702592
Not true

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
Slung at your screen from my 460hp 450wtq Genesis Coupe.

Remember kids drugs are bad mmkay

Jesse402
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicroot View Post
Not true

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
Wait could you explain to me what exactly isn't true? Sorry, still confused.

Mistertac
Old
(Last edited by Mistertac; 17th April 2014 at 09:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1409

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Since you have an original MDK S4 you should just root it , install a custom recovery, then you can flash all sorts of ROMs Touchwiz or AOSP.

Is your phone rooted? If so do you have a custom recovery?

Root your phone using this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290796

Then since you appear to be new at this I'd suggest just using Goo or Flashify to install your custom recovery
Here's Flashify https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llner.flashify

Then learn how to make a backup in recovery and do that.

Then look around these forums for whatever ROM best suits you.

There are KitKat Touchwiz ROMs that you can install that come from the International S4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

By the way I just over looked the part where your already rooted so my bad... Its early what can I say.

Anyways here is the link to a patch we use to enable us to run international S4 Touchwiz 4.4 ROMs .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2674280
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Oishikatta
Old
Thanks Meter 80
jrkruse has made a flashable version of the verizon leak: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2721118

So that's probably the best option now for stock-kitkat. If you don't have a custom recovery, the easiest way would be to use goomanager and simply use 'install openrecoveryscript' from the options menu.