Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 41,522 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Worth the upgrade - very tempted

Tip us?

dec1153
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Worth the upgrade - very tempted

OK, so currently I have the Hyundai t7 which is a Chinese tablet which I got for 66. It has a Samsung exynos 4412 1.6ghz processor and 1 GB ram, 1280*800 7inch IPS screen and dual cameras. Although the specs seem quite good it only runs ICS but has a very unstable jellybean ROM. I know that the advent has 4.4.2 the latest one. My first question, is this tablet supported through a lot of new firmwares. For example will it get android 5.0 etc?. When using in the shop the speed is amazing as well as the unique stylus. Now for the battery. My Hyundai can get a mere 1hr screen on time which is dreadful. I am definitely looking for upgrade on that. How long is the screen on time on the tegra not. Finally is it worth upgrading? It cost at my PC world 130

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MRunabout
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1153 View Post
OK, so currently I have the Hyundai t7 which is a Chinese tablet which I got for 66. It has a Samsung exynos 4412 1.6ghz processor and 1 GB ram, 1280*800 7inch IPS screen and dual cameras. Although the specs seem quite good it only runs ICS but has a very unstable jellybean ROM. I know that the advent has 4.4.2 the latest one. My first question, is this tablet supported through a lot of new firmwares. For example will it get android 5.0 etc?. When using in the shop the speed is amazing as well as the unique stylus. Now for the battery. My Hyundai can get a mere 1hr screen on time which is dreadful. I am definitely looking for upgrade on that. How long is the screen on time on the tegra not. Finally is it worth upgrading? It cost at my PC world 130

I get several hours (~5) on mixed usage on my EVGA Note 7 on maximum performance option, max screen brightness and with bluetooth and wifi turned on. This includes a mix of gaming for an hour or two, lots of web browsing, flash videos and movies or shows downloaded to the tablet. Nvidia has said that they'll roll out updates on their devices as soon as possible and that seems to be the case with the Note 7 and Shield as they've both got the 4.4.2 update. I would be wary, though, as some people have reported problems with not being able to read or write to their SD cards. Personally, I'd suggest staying at the 4.2.2 or 4.3 rom until these issues get fixed. I got my brother the Nexus 7 2012 when it first came out and compared his to my Note 7. Honestly, in average use, I don't see too much difference and the games I play aren't graphics intensive but it played games like The Walking Dead: Season One, Dead Trigger, Asphalt 8 and Real Racing just fine.

dec1153
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRunabout View Post
I get several hours (~5) on mixed usage on my EVGA Note 7 on maximum performance option, max screen brightness and with bluetooth and wifi turned on. This includes a mix of gaming for an hour or two, lots of web browsing, flash videos and movies or shows downloaded to the tablet. Nvidia has said that they'll roll out updates on their devices as soon as possible and that seems to be the case with the Note 7 and Shield as they've both got the 4.4.2 update. I would be wary, though, as some people have reported problems with not being able to read or write to their SD cards. Personally, I'd suggest staying at the 4.2.2 or 4.3 rom until these issues get fixed. I got my brother the Nexus 7 2012 when it first came out and compared his to my Note 7. Honestly, in average use, I don't see too much difference and the games I play aren't graphics intensive but it played games like The Walking Dead: Season One, Dead Trigger, Asphalt 8 and Real Racing just fine.
Thanks for the reply. In your opinion do you think it is worth the upgrade from my current tablet (Hyundai t7). I have also been really considering to get a 10.1 inch one as bigger is better!

MRunabout
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1153 View Post
Thanks for the reply. In your opinion do you think it is worth the upgrade from my current tablet (Hyundai t7). I have also been really considering to get a 10.1 inch one as bigger is better!

I suppose it depends on what you use it for, what you require from the tablet and what your budget is. If you would really prefer a 10" tablet over a 7" one, I would really hold out to get what you really want. I know Qualcomm just revealed their 808 and 810 CPUs with Adreno 418 and 430 GPUs respectively and Nvidia's new Tegra K1 should be out in devices in the next several months. Be prepared to spend up to twice the price of what a 7" tablet costs, though.

dec1153
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Yes thanks. I have picked up he lg g pad 8.3 which was a steal at 119 so no need to worry about this!!!!