Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: How often do you use the WiFi tethering feature on your phone?
Quite often. 1 100.00%
Once in a while. 0 0%
My phone doesn't support WiFi tethering. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

[APP][NO ROOT] Tethering Manager is back!!!!

OP Mwai254

17th April 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Nairobi
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
More
This app disappeared from Playstore a while back.

Read the original thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post51998799

Get it by visiting the link below:

www.1mobile.com/tethering-manager-652054.html

Old devices make really good mobile wifi hotspots and portable media servers(for devices that support this functionality). I wouldn't splash $300 on a new device just to do this and chances are I'd have more face time with my new device than I'd do with the old one. That said, I'd like to have the ability to turn the hotspot on and off without having to fiddle through the settings each time and to that effect, this app also comes with a widget.

HOWEVER: The developers of this app have discontinued it's support. This is the response when I mailed the support team:

Hi,

Thank you for your email, unfortunately,
supporting this app is discontinued and we
pulled it from Google play due to changes in
Android OS...

Best regards

The main issue is that the wifi network security options JUST DON'T WORK!!! You'll set up the hotspot fine; Enter the SSID, choose the security option etc. But when you activate the hotspot, it security is set to OPEN. You have to manually change the security each time which is a nuisance.

Possible reasons for this could be because I'm running a nightly build of CyanogenMod 7.2. The wifi tethering has only two options for security; Open and WPA2/PSK while the app has 3; Open, WPA/PSK and WPA2/PSK. If the developer is comparing a selected index rather than a selected item to the phone's options, choosing option 3 in the app(index 2) would pass and invalid state when compared to the phone's options because they only go as far as option 2(index 1). This is why the setting is set to open, as a fall back because trying to set to index 2 failed. I found this to be true when I selected the second option(index 1) in the app which is WPA/PSK. After the hotspot is active, the security is set to WPA2/PSK which is the second option(index 1) in the tethering options.

If any of you have used this app, then you'll know that there is no better app available. Let's just hope that the support for the app will start again soon to fix this issue for CyanogenMod users.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20140409-121401am.png
Views:	65
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2692829   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20140409-121424am.png
Views:	60
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	2692830  
Last edited by Mwai254; 18th April 2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added link to the app.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread