App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more
Post Reply

Screen Died (and I'm unlocked) - Suggestions?

16th April 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I'm on Cromi-X and last night the screen just died. No warning or other issues were noted. My wife was in the middle of a game of PVZ2 and it stopped working, She assumed that the battery had just hit 0%. I have been on Cromi-X for about 5 weeks and had zero problems - the tablet was running just fine. It's still running fine, with an HDMI cable and dock, the tablet is perfectly useable. So now for suggestions.

1) Is there any point in going through the effort of returning the tablet to stock and sending it back to Asus (hoping that they will honor the warranty)? Obviously unlocking and rooting aren't going to cause a hardware failure like this, but their language is pretty clear that unlocking voids the warranty regardless of whether or not this has anything to do with the failure.

2) In a sad coincidence, my second TF701T was damaged yesterday in a car accident (yes, I actually lost two tablets the same day). In this case, the problem seems to be just the digitizer as the display looks perfect below the cracked glass, but I know that replacements for qty=1 aren't really an option. That one wasn't unlocked by the way (too bad they weren't reversed). This one may get covered by insurance since the other driver ran a red light and smashed into the car. However, I might end up with a functional LCD available to use on the other one (I'm guessing that the digitizer is probably fine). I realize that this is a tricky repair.

3) Are there any known problems anyone has heard of about screens going dead like this? Is there a connector that could have worked its way loose or anything like that?

What do you folks think I should try? If #1 is a 0% chance of getting Asus to fix under warranty, then I'd rather not waste the time and money on round-trip freight. On the other hand, if there is a chance, I'd be screwing myself by opening the tablet to look for something loose or fixable on the connection to the screen which definitely would void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.
16th April 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #2  
Rikodu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Morocco
Thanks Meter: 148
 
333 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1

I'm on Cromi-X and last night the screen just died. No warning or other issues were noted. My wife was in the middle of a game of PVZ2 and it stopped working, She assumed that the battery had just hit 0%. I have been on Cromi-X for about 5 weeks and had zero problems - the tablet was running just fine. It's still running fine, with an HDMI cable and dock, the tablet is perfectly useable. So now for suggestions.

1) Is there any point in going through the effort of returning the tablet to stock and sending it back to Asus (hoping that they will honor the warranty)? Obviously unlocking and rooting aren't going to cause a hardware failure like this, but their language is pretty clear that unlocking voids the warranty regardless of whether or not this has anything to do with the failure.

2) In a sad coincidence, my second TF701T was damaged yesterday in a car accident (yes, I actually lost two tablets the same day). In this case, the problem seems to be just the digitizer as the display looks perfect below the cracked glass, but I know that replacements for qty=1 aren't really an option. That one wasn't unlocked by the way (too bad they weren't reversed). This one may get covered by insurance since the other driver ran a red light and smashed into the car. However, I might end up with a functional LCD available to use on the other one (I'm guessing that the digitizer is probably fine). I realize that this is a tricky repair.

3) Are there any known problems anyone has heard of about screens going dead like this? Is there a connector that could have worked its way loose or anything like that?

What do you folks think I should try? If #1 is a 0% chance of getting Asus to fix under warranty, then I'd rather not waste the time and money on round-trip freight. On the other hand, if there is a chance, I'd be screwing myself by opening the tablet to look for something loose or fixable on the connection to the screen which definitely would void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

I have something I have just discovered 2 days ago.... When I was playing real racing 3, my tablet turned off as the battery got discharged. I connected the charger and turned the tablet on, then all I could see was gliches on the screen. The colors were hazy.And the touchscreen was not usable. I think it is a hardware issue because it did not affect only android but also the asus logo that appears before loading the os. I tried to reboot several times in vain. Fortunatlely, I found out how to get rid of those glistches. Very simple: when the os boots, I lock the screen then unlocked it. Yeah very weird!!! the problem was reproduced as well as the solution... However, I dont know if it happens only when the tablet goes off while gaming or does it happen every time the tablet gets discharged. Other than that, everything works flawlessly!!!
17th April 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #3  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,053
 
11,562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
You unlocked it which means no you no longer have a warranty. ASUS are quite clear on this. You can send it back to Asus and they will charge you to fix it.

Or you could open the back and check the ribbon hasn't come lose? Same with the other one, get a screen from eBay and fix it yourself. Probably some vids you can use on you tube.
17th April 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Aren't you in Japan? Enjoy your vacation and stop helping all of us.
17th April 2014, 02:53 AM   |  #5  
Trevor_g's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
125 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1

Aren't you in Japan? Enjoy your vacation and stop helping all of us.

I have a feeling he loves it... Win for us!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
17th April 2014, 03:14 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
So, I opened the tablet. Angry Dinosaur was right, it really is easy. Unfortunately, the cables connecting the display to the board look fine. I haven't seen any spare TF701T screens on Ebay, but I will keep looking. If anyone knows of a place, please let me know. Thanks.
17th April 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #7  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,053
 
11,562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1

Aren't you in Japan? Enjoy your vacation and stop helping all of us.

I'm bored A week speaking Japanese and nothing but Japanese TV and crappy BG WiFi modem I need some normality. That's you guys with your broken gadgets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I normally don't do this, but based on what just happened, I added the Amazon 2-yr drops, spills, and hardware failure protection for $45. This one DOESN'T say anything about unlocking voiding a warranty (an that might be hard to prove in the event of a drop anyway). Anyone have any experience with this? For $45 it seems like a decent alternative to the loss of Asus warranty when I root. I can't not do it either, since I noticed such a big improvement on Cromi-X.

SBDAGS, if you are bored for a minute I had another question for you. I know that you love the stock browser and I agree that it's faster than Chrome. I want the extra screen space and so am using the quick controls. The one problem for me is that I like to scroll with my left thumb and pull out the menu with my right. I end up accidentally pulling up the quick controls and jumping to another page when I'm trying to scroll. This happens about every 5th scroll attempt. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to modify the labs setting to allow quick controls to function off left, right, both - maybe check boxes? I searched but couldn't find anything already done. I could create another donation fund for you if you think it's not a huge amount of work.
17th April 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #9  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,053
 
11,562 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk1

I normally don't do this, but based on what just happened, I added the Amazon 2-yr drops, spills, and hardware failure protection for $45. This one DOESN'T say anything about unlocking voiding a warranty (an that might be hard to prove in the event of a drop anyway). Anyone have any experience with this? For $45 it seems like a decent alternative to the loss of Asus warranty when I root. I can't not do it either, since I noticed such a big improvement on Cromi-X.

SBDAGS, if you are bored for a minute I had another question for you. I know that you love the stock browser and I agree that it's faster than Chrome. I want the extra screen space and so am using the quick controls. The one problem for me is that I like to scroll with my left thumb and pull out the menu with my right. I end up accidentally pulling up the quick controls and jumping to another page when I'm trying to scroll. This happens about every 5th scroll attempt. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to modify the labs setting to allow quick controls to function off left, right, both - maybe check boxes? I searched but couldn't find anything already done. I could create another donation fund for you if you think it's not a huge amount of work.

It'll be in the smali code probably. A good question for someone like @elesbb who loves these challenges. it's not a question of being bored for this one, I don't have the tools with me to decompile the apk.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Transformer TF701 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank