5,600,182 Members 40,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[FASTBOOT] Google Play Edition images (semi-official)

Tip us?

hkotaku
Old
(Last edited by hkotaku; 23rd March 2014 at 06:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
I tried flashing the official GPE batch through fastboot on my locked bootloader Moto G and was unsuccessful. Fastboot threw the error:
Code:
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
I then went on to try mfastbootV2 as the error seemed related to that, but got a new error:
Code:
(bootloader) Invalid signed image
I'm surprised about the signed image error since I thought the GPE files from firmware-team were official and signed.

robin0800
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkotaku View Post
I tried flashing the official GPE batch through fastboot on my locked bootloader Moto G and was unsuccessful. Fastboot threw the error:
Code:
(bootloader) Preflash validation failed
I then went on to try mfastbootV2 as the error seemed related to that, but got a new error:
Code:
(bootloader) Invalid signed image
I'm surprised about the signed image error since I thought the GPE files from firmware-team were official and signed.
No they are not one of the system files is not signed as you have seen and no doubt you found more flashing errors.
Though the rom still works, but you can't relock the bootloader because of the errors.
:
Robin0800

DarkShoko
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I need help, I tried doing it but it gave me a "hab check failed for boot" error and recvoery error on the device and when I typed fast boot flash system system.img I got "error: cannot load 'system.img': No error"
what to do?

yash.sharma99@yahoo.com
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazlooney89 View Post
ok, I understand.

for now I cared about was having root access. already made ​​through sideload.

thanks for everything.
How did you root it through sideload????
ROMS Tested till now - CyanogenMod 11(RC,MS,N), 10.2(MS), 9.1(N), 7.2(RC), CyanMobile X(N)(2.3.8), Paranoid Android 4.x AOSPA+(4.2.2)(S), PAC ROM (4.4.2)(S), Gingerbread AOSP(RC), SlimKat(4.4.2(S)).... Still working on

MY DEVICE - MOTO G XT-1033 - CyanogenMod 11

Other Devices - Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 - CM 11(Nightly), iPhone 5S - iOS 7.1 and Blackberry Playbook - Modded with playstore.

nlra
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland View Post
Therefore the process of unlocking will be the same I suspect, I dont see how it can be any different, ie GPE phones need a code to unlock them.
I own an actual, honest-to-gosh Moto G GP Edition phone from the U.S. Google Play Store. I can confirm that even though the bootloader is the same -- bit for bit -- as a regular Moto G bootloader, the GPE version does *not* require you to get a code from motorola.com in order to unlock the bootloader of the phone. All you have to do is run 'fastboot oem unlock', select "Yes" on the phone screen, and it will be unlocked.

What this tells me is that Google and Motorola had planned to release a GPE version all along, since the introduction of the phone, and this single version of the bootloader can change its behavior depending on whether it detects that it is running on true GPE hardware or not...it was designed to be able to do so from day 1. I don't know what it is looking for, given that the SKU is the same between GPE and Global editions (XT1032); however, I will note that the 'cid' value returned between different XT1032 phones varies depending on where they come from. Here is the pattern that I think I have detected:

cid 0x0007 == XT1032 from Europe (e.g., I have seen this on both UK and DE/German versions)
cid 0x0009 == XT1032 from Motorola USA
cid 0x00DE == XT1032 from Google Play Store USA

It is conceivable that the Moto G bootloader does not require a valid motorola.com code to unlock if it sees it is running on a phone with a cid value of 0x00DE. I'm not sure what cid stands for ("carrier ID" maybe??).

-- Nathan

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin0800 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkotaku View Post
No they are not one of the system files is not signed as you have seen and no doubt you found more flashing errors.
Just because you are getting invalid signature errors during flashing and cannot relock your bootloader does *not* mean that the images are not properly signed. They *are* signed, and I can tell you this for a fact because I own a genuine GPE Moto G, and I can relock my bootloader after flashing the official GPE image, and I do not get "invalid signature" errors during flashing, either.

Presumably the reason you are having problems is because Motorola surely signed the GPE and various non-GPE versions of the XT1032 firmware with different sets of keys, and you are trying to flash the GPE firmware on a non-GPE phone, and the bootloader on your non-GPE phone is expecting the firmware that you flash to be signed with different set of keys than the GPE firmware is signed with. The keys don't match, so the signature is counted invalid, just as if it wasn't signed at all.

I bet if I took any of the official non-GPE firmwares out there for the XT1032 and tried to flash them to my GPE phone, I would also see "invalid signature" errors during flashing and be prevented from relocking my bootloader, same as you.

Some phones in certain regions of the world appear to be able to cross-flash stock images from other markets, but this appears to be limited in scope to certain geographies (e.g., a retail German XT1032 can successfully flash the retail UK firmware with no signature errors and also be allowed to re-lock afterward). As I made mention in my previous post (above), I strongly suspect this is related to CID. All of the retail XT1032 phones sold in Europe with unlocked SIM slots (ones sold direct to consumers outside of a carrier, like from Amazon) appear to share the same CID amongst each other (0x0007), and my guess is that all phones with the same CID use the same signing keys for their stock ROMS. The GPE phone has a different CID (0x00DE), and thus its ROM would be signed with a different set of keys.

-- Nathan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nlra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robin0800
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlra View Post
I own an actual, honest-to-gosh Moto G GP Edition phone from the U.S. Google Play Store. I can confirm that even though the bootloader is the same -- bit for bit -- as a regular Moto G bootloader, the GPE version does *not* require you to get a code from motorola.com in order to unlock the bootloader of the phone. All you have to do is run 'fastboot oem unlock', select "Yes" on the phone screen, and it will be unlocked.

What this tells me is that Google and Motorola had planned to release a GPE version all along, since the introduction of the phone, and this single version of the bootloader can change its behavior depending on whether it detects that it is running on true GPE hardware or not...it was designed to be able to do so from day 1. I don't know what it is looking for, given that the SKU is the same between GPE and Global editions (XT1032); however, I will note that the 'cid' value returned between different XT1032 phones varies depending on where they come from. Here is the pattern that I think I have detected:

cid 0x0007 == XT1032 from Europe (e.g., I have seen this on both UK and DE/German versions)

It is conceivable that the Moto G bootloader does not require a valid motorola.com code to unlock if it sees it is running on a phone with a cid value of 0x00DE. I'm not sure what cid stands for ("carrier ID" maybe??).

-- Nathan

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Just because you are getting invalid signature errors during flashing and cannot relock your bootloader does *not* mean that the images are not properly signed. They *are* signed, and I can tell you this for a fact because I own a genuine GPE Moto G, and I can relock my bootloader after flashing the official GPE image, and I do not get "invalid signature" errors during flashing, either.

Presumably the reason you are having problems is because Motorola surely signed the GPE and various non-GPE versions of the XT1032 firmware with different sets of keys, and you are trying to flash the GPE firmware on a non-GPE phone, and the bootloader on your non-GPE phone is expecting the firmware that you flash to be signed with different set of keys than the GPE firmware is signed with. The keys don't match, so the signature is counted invalid, just as if it wasn't signed at all.

I bet if I took any of the official non-GPE firmwares out there for the XT1032 and tried to flash them to my GPE phone, I would also see "invalid signature" errors during flashing and be prevented from relocking my bootloader, same as you.

Some phones in certain regions of the world appear to be able to cross-flash stock images from other markets, but this appears to be limited in scope to certain geographies (e.g., a retail German XT1032 can successfully flash the retail UK firmware with no signature errors and also be allowed to re-lock afterward). As I made mention in my previous post (above), I strongly suspect this is related to CID. All of the retail XT1032 phones sold in Europe with unlocked SIM slots (ones sold direct to consumers outside of a carrier, like from Amazon) appear to share the same CID amongst each other (0x0007), and my guess is that all phones with the same CID use the same signing keys for their stock ROMS. The GPE phone has a different CID (0x00DE), and thus its ROM would be signed with a different set of keys.

-- Nathan
Perhaps your right I don't know but it is only one of the system files and would have thought all flashed files would have failed if checks were involved may be not?
:
Robin0800

hydromän
Old
Thanks Meter 14
One question ..
Post #1 DL Link on the top and DL Link at the end.

I tried this now for some days..
With the First dl Link is my battery Life really Bad. One day, 3 h Display on. GPS off ans WiFi only on if needed.. Rest percent after 12h around 10.

With the second dl Link, a really amazing battery Life. 2days and some hours...5 1/2 hours Display on.

Why?

I tried to Flash th First dl Link second time complete clean, without any apps. But still Bad battery Life.

Its only a question, im using tue second dl Link and im really happy

Gesendet von meinem KFSOWI mit Tapatalk

hkotaku
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlra View Post

-- Nathan

-- Nathan
Thank you for the very informative post. Nice spot with the different CID values; it must be how the bootloader flashes the GPE image fine on a GPE handset but not the normal retail, expecting different keys for both types as you mentioned in your post.
The Following User Says Thank You to hkotaku For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Piyush Rawal
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Is it possible to use GPE rom with F2FS partition?

VictoriousShooter
Old
Thanks Meter 270
I don't believe this will work on the CDMA Moto G.

I've flashed the official GPE firmware on my XT1031 and got no data. IMEI reads as zero until you install the stock Boost firmware.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Tags
falcon_gpe, fastboot, firmware, gpe, moto-g