Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,073 Members 45,543 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

cyanogenmod, do I need to rebuild the kernel for modules support?

Tip us?

mikecc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default cyanogenmod, do I need to rebuild the kernel for modules support?

OK guys, Im not a linux-n00b, but am an android n00b. I flashed the cyanogenmod ROM onto my nexus 7 2013, built some kernel modules for it, but insmod'ing it says that function isnt implemented. lsmod says /proc/modules is non-existent. What gives? I thought these custom ROMs came with kernel module support. I downloaded the CM kernel source and their default config has a bunch of features and modules that I don't have after flashing the ROM onto my tablet.

Do I need to re-build the kernel to get all these features? Or did I miss a step and forget to flash on the rest of the stuff.... Thanks...

droidshadow
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
OK guys, Im not a linux-n00b, but am an android n00b. I flashed the cyanogenmod ROM onto my nexus 7 2013, built some kernel modules for it, but insmod'ing it says that function isnt implemented. lsmod says /proc/modules is non-existent. What gives? I thought these custom ROMs came with kernel module support. I downloaded the CM kernel source and their default config has a bunch of features and modules that I don't have after flashing the ROM onto my tablet.

Do I need to re-build the kernel to get all these features? Or did I miss a step and forget to flash on the rest of the stuff.... Thanks...
What are you trying to add?

And yes you are going to have to rebuild the kernel with the modules you want to add/implement.

Depending on what you are trying to add, my bet is that there is already a kernel out there that has what you are looking for. Start looking at other kernels. I would definitely look into the ElementalX kernel.

-droidshadow