[Q] [PC] GPU Power Savings

OP Toxic_Dragon

18th April 2014, 03:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Miami, FL / Mukilteo, WA
Thanks Meter: 0

48 posts
More
I realize most of the questions on xda about power consumption refer to android devices but hopefully you can help me with this PC Desktop Question. I have a some what beefy computer these are my specs:

- (CPU) i7 - 875k Unlocked @ Turbo Boost 3.8GHz
- (GPU) - GTX 780 ti
- (SSD) - OCZ Solid State Drive
- (HDD1) - 2TB Hard Drive 5200 rpm
- (HDD2) - 1TB Hard Drive 7200 rpm
- (RAM) - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3 @ 2133 MHz
- (Motherboard) - EVGA P55 SLI
- (PSU) - EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W

I also have x2 GTX 460s laying around.

So finally my question. Is there a way to save power when I'm not in need of using the GTX 780 ti by maybe installing a GTX 750 ti or EVGA GeForce GT 520 like GPU that uses less power and have the gtx 780 ti as a secondary card? Or does the GTX 780 ti save equivalent amount of power when processing less gpu intensive applications. Ultimately I want to save as much power when I'm just browsing the web and watching youtube so I would run the GeForce GT (for example) to run displays and some software(?Nvidia Control Panel?) to not turn on the gtx 780 ti until necessary or does that not exist? Feel free to share any other power saving tips even if they aren't gpu related. I have an Odroid XU+E Android Development Board that I use when I know I won't need my PC but the point would be to not have to switch between devices.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread