Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,553 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Camera App on a custom rom???

Tip us?
 
ysungji
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default [Q] Samsung Camera App on a custom rom???

I'm rooting my Verizon Galaxy S4 (16g) with Cyanogenmod but only thing that stops me right now is the camera. The camera on the phone works great with Samsung's camera software. But since I'm moving on from Touchwiz to Cyanogenmod, I'm curious if there is any way to keep the Samsung's camera app on a custom rom. Thank you.
 
aznbatman
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 31
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Unfortunately the Samsung Camera App requires the Touchwiz framework. It doesn't work on AOSP roms. You can try the Eclipse rom. It has that AOSP look and feel but is touchwiz based so it has the Samsung Camera app on it. The dialer, settings, contacts, and notification panels are all AOSP.
The Following User Says Thank You to aznbatman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
joshm.1219
Old
#3  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1188
Posts: 2,808
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysungji View Post
I'm rooting my Verizon Galaxy S4 (16g) with Cyanogenmod but only thing that stops me right now is the camera. The camera on the phone works great with Samsung's camera software. But since I'm moving on from Touchwiz to Cyanogenmod, I'm curious if there is any way to keep the Samsung's camera app on a custom rom. Thank you.
You can only use it on a TW rom. It hooks into proprietary TW framework that we can't get source code for to port to AOSP.

If you use a GPE rom, such as the one by Danvdh, it's a little different. Since these are built on the GPE device base they're still AOSP roms but they use Samsung drivers for the camera. It's still as not as good as the full TW camera, but with a third party app (Google's camera still sucks) it's the best camera experience you'll get on AOSP on this phone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mistertac
Old
#4  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1304
Posts: 3,029
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
You can only use it on a TW rom. It hooks into proprietary TW framework that we can't get source code for to port to AOSP.

If you use a GPE rom, such as the one by Danvdh, it's a little different. Since these are built on the GPE device base they're still AOSP roms but they use Samsung drivers for the camera. It's still as not as good as the full TW camera, but with a third party app (Google's camera still sucks) it's the best camera experience you'll get on AOSP on this phone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
All very true.. Have you used that Lenovo Super Camera??? I thougt it was really cool, comparable to the Wiz Camera, just depending on which version you found it either required all sorts of permissions/libraries . if we could scrounge up just an easy to install... No permissions Lenovo that'd be cool

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
joshm.1219
Old
#5  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1188
Posts: 2,808
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
All very true.. Have you used that Lenovo Super Camera??? I thougt it was really cool, comparable to the Wiz Camera, just depending on which version you found it either required all sorts of permissions/libraries . if we could scrounge up just an easy to install... No permissions Lenovo that'd be cool

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Yeah I tried it right when it got pulled from that Intel phone Lenovo came out with, I've never been much of a camera aficionado though. I thought the gallery app was really cool but a lot of Chinese all over the place lol.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes