XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

[Q] No Imei and "baseband unknown" Please help! Really weird!

OP Bradbetheman

18th April 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
So, this is a long process I've been through-- First thanks so much for just taking the time to read this and any input would be awesome

I tried to flash a new slimkat 4.4.2 rom today and it flashed fine came up had service all was well except I think i did it as a "dirty" flash. I don't want to think any errors possible would be from that so i immediately did a "clean" flash and wiped everything except external sd-card in TWRP

Rebooted and noticed i didn't have any signal or data. First thought was modem so I started flashing MJ4 and reboot, nothing, so I flashed MK6 and reboot, nothing, so i changed to CWM recovery and flashed them, nothing, then at this point i just want a phone back doesn't even matter so i always seem to have several ROMS on my phone so i flashed another Sky Note 4.3 and reloaded nothing... So i started really wondering now and looking at my baseband to see what it said and noticed "Unkown Baseband" and Imei "unkown" (All while at work) So I came home did a little research while trying various other roms and none worked. So I read one way is to use Kies and do a "firmware upgrade initialisation"

Now it rebooting and completed going back to 4.1.2 CAMA4 and i still have nothing.. So I flashed UCALJ modem (Which should work as well) and I still have no data or signal because of unknown IMEI and Baseband. I don't really care about using triangle away or not, but i can get around and flash roms and everything thats what I don't understand.

Oh I did use CF-autoroot to install TWRP to install the modem as a .zip

Any ideas I would love you forever!!!
18th April 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 1,364

2,278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbetheman

So, this is a long process I've been through-- First thanks so much for just taking the time to read this and any input would be awesome

I tried to flash a new slimkat 4.4.2 rom today and it flashed fine came up had service all was well except I think i did it as a "dirty" flash. I don't want to think any errors possible would be from that so i immediately did a "clean" flash and wiped everything except external sd-card in TWRP

Rebooted and noticed i didn't have any signal or data. First thought was modem so I started flashing MJ4 and reboot, nothing, so I flashed MK6 and reboot, nothing, so i changed to CWM recovery and flashed them, nothing, then at this point i just want a phone back doesn't even matter so i always seem to have several ROMS on my phone so i flashed another Sky Note 4.3 and reloaded nothing... So i started really wondering now and looking at my baseband to see what it said and noticed "Unkown Baseband" and Imei "unkown" (All while at work) So I came home did a little research while trying various other roms and none worked. So I read one way is to use Kies and do a "firmware upgrade initialisation"

Now it rebooting and completed going back to 4.1.2 CAMA4 and i still have nothing.. So I flashed UCALJ modem (Which should work as well) and I still have no data or signal because of unknown IMEI and Baseband. I don't really care about using triangle away or not, but i can get around and flash roms and everything thats what I don't understand.

Oh I did use CF-autoroot to install TWRP to install the modem as a .zip

Any ideas I would love you forever!!!

I gots more love than I know what to do with.....

Do you have a backup of your /efs? Hopefully when (if) you did a backup in TWRP you choose to back up efs also ..... ???
18th April 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksteele

I gots more love than I know what to do with.....

Do you have a backup of your /efs? Hopefully when (if) you did a backup in TWRP you choose to back up efs also ..... ???

Lesson learned... no backup
18th April 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
I'm going to try and repair (backup and re-put) my EFS folder there, but how do i tell if its a complete EFS folder or if it is damaged? On the note 2 ATT is there a way to manually put in your IMEI? or reasons why this couldn't be my problem please
18th April 2014, 05:08 AM   |  #5  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 1,364

2,278 posts
More
Quote:

I'm going to try and repair (backup and re-put) my EFS folder there, but how do i tell if its a complete EFS folder or if it is damaged? On the note 2 ATT is there a way to manually put in your IMEI? or reasons why this couldn't be my problem please

Last time this happened to me, a very long night, I had a guru on hangouts with me and we tried everything we could think of..

Only thing that got me back was a restore of an old backup, as a wild ass last resort.... Lost my mind when it worked

This problem is not weird, unfortunately it's common.

Starting surfing for your error and read read read.... I've had a long fricking day ..

Like a maniac I'm trying to port over a 7100 ROM.. I get that error also.

Only thing that gets it back is restoring a backup rom that had an efs backup in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dicksteele For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksteele

Last time this happened to me, a very long night, I had a guru on hangouts with me and we tried everything we could think of..

Only thing that got me back was a restore of an old backup, as a wild ass last resort.... Lost my mind when it worked

This problem is not weird, unfortunately it's common.

Starting surfing for your error and read read read.... I've had a long fricking day ..

Like a maniac I'm trying to port over a 7100 ROM.. I get that error also.

Only thing that gets it back is restoring a backup rom that had an efs backup in it.

In my EFS folder i can't find any .nv_**** files so I'm assuming they are gone and I don't have a back-up. I've been reading and reading with nothing coming out of it other then how to fix it on alot of other samsung phones. I can't seem to find a way to re-build and manually enter my own IMEI (because i know the IMEI) Driving me nuts!! but thanks for your reply
18th April 2014, 01:48 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
EFS folder anyone?
Any chance i can get a copy of someones EFS folder so that i can edit the .nv_data and add my IMIE? Please of a ATT Note 2

Thanks so much and just PM link
18th April 2014, 10:00 PM   |  #8  
Flag B.F.E.
Thanks Meter: 3,600

4,302 posts
More
Quote:

Any chance i can get a copy of someones EFS folder so that i can edit the .nv_data and add my IMIE? Please of a ATT Note 2

Thanks so much and just PM link

Sadly no...
It is both illegal...and unethical for someone to give you a copy of an EFS folder...

It contains the user data and carrier information for the device...making the folder private...and unique to it's owner ....g

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th April 2014, 10:04 PM   |  #9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1,167

4,390 posts
More
Have you tried restoring firmware from Kies or flashing official firmware via Odin?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to nikzDHD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikzDHD

Have you tried restoring firmware from Kies or flashing official firmware via Odin?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I have done official firmware and over odin and before that Kies recovery. Also, knew it wasn't smart but didn't know it was illegal.

Any idea's for programs that will scan for deleted folders? or other ways to re-build EFS or .nvdata?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread