Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,331 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Improve battery life?

Tip us?

Clamhost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Improve battery life?

New T-Mobile HTC One M8 user here, been using it SIM unlocked on TMobile (used Jump!) and StraightTalk's AT&T 4G LTE.

Well I'm at about 31% and charging.

Any tips on improving battery life? I always keep my brightness rather low, but my battery life is much worse than my Nexus 5's. Almost thinking of exchanging for S5 as the removable battery may help.

This is not a rant or hate thread, I simply want to ask other T-Mobile HTC One M8 users their experiences.

Seriously I'm having to charge once or twice per day. My dad has the M8 on VZW and his phone gets much better battery life, I almost feel like my phone is defective. That or the TMO version uses more battery life.

BTW Wi-Fi is off.

Thanks,

Thomas
Phones: Verizon HTC One M8
Sold: T-Mobile Google Nexus 5
ROM: | Rooted, S-OFF'd, and GPE
Kernel: Stock
Tablets: iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
Previous: T-Mobile HTC One M8, T-Mobile Google Nexus 5, Verizon Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V, Verizon HTC One Silver 32GB, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, Verizon Note 2, Droid Razr Maxx, Galaxy Nexus

hiazn
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamhost View Post
New T-Mobile HTC One M8 user here, been using it SIM unlocked on TMobile (used Jump!) and StraightTalk's AT&T 4G LTE.

Any tips on improving battery life? I always keep my brightness rather low, but my battery life is much worse than my Nexus 5's. Almost thinking of exchanging for S5 as the removable battery may help.

This is not a rant or hate thread, I simply want to ask other T-Mobile HTC One M8 users their experiences.

Seriously I'm having to charge once or twice per day. My dad has the M8 on VZW and his phone gets much better battery life, I almost feel like my phone is defective. That or the TMO version uses more battery life.

BTW Wi-Fi is off.

Thanks,

Thomas

I make it through a full day here, I'm used to the batt life of a note3, so it takes some getting used to. I have bluetooth/wifi on all day, with facebook/g+/twitter/4emails syncing (evy 15min). I used titanium backup to freeze all the apps I dont use or wont use... ie all tmo apps, ant+, etc also use greenify for help also...
Don't be lazy forum search is there for a reason!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

T-Mobile HTC M8
Acer Iconia A100
In retirement - SG Note 3.. SGSIV... T-Mobile G.Note II... Kindle Fire... T-Mobile SGS3... Intl HTC One X...T-Mobile Samsung GSII,.. AT&T Samsung G Note,.. T-Mobile Amaze 4g,.. T-Mobile Sensation,.. T-Mobile HD7,.. T-Mobile G2x,.. T-Mobile HD2 x 2,.. HTC Touch Pro,.. HTC Touch Dual. . .Asian - 16 Key and USA - 20 Key

Clamhost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiazn View Post
I make it through a full day here, I'm used to the batt life of a note3, so it takes some getting used to. I have bluetooth/wifi on all day, with facebook/g+/twitter/4emails syncing (evy 15min). I used titanium backup to freeze all the apps I dont use or wont use... ie all tmo apps, ant+, etc also use greenify for help also...
Ah thanks. Nice Kakashi Chibi :P
Phones: Verizon HTC One M8
Sold: T-Mobile Google Nexus 5
ROM: | Rooted, S-OFF'd, and GPE
Kernel: Stock
Tablets: iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
Previous: T-Mobile HTC One M8, T-Mobile Google Nexus 5, Verizon Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V, Verizon HTC One Silver 32GB, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, Verizon Note 2, Droid Razr Maxx, Galaxy Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to Clamhost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BlueCrystal
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Make sure you get Lookout off and try to get rid of it if possible. Nuke Carrier IQ in to the sun. I use Lux to autoadjust the brightness and that seems to help a lot. If you really need help look in to JuiceDefender. I can easily go a day without charging, and I haven't enabled JuiceDefender yet.

namato
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Disabling Google Now and restarting helps. Apparently there is a bug in kit kat that hammers the CPU and drives the android ui usage up with it enabled.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

h3ck
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamhost View Post

BTW Wi-Fi is off.

Thanks,

Thomas
I honestly think it depends on how you are treating the battery and using your phone. Remember new phones get used more initially. You can get an S5 but that doesn't mean you'll get better battery life. Also, please don't take it from me. There are professionals that have shown the M8 to have better battery life than even the Note 3 and S5.

Proof M8 has competitive battery life
My Devices
HTC One (M8) | Nexus 10
Backup: iPhone 4 - repurposed iPod Touch

Proud Android user since 2007 (G1)!

Past Devices: HTC Wing(MDA), G1, Mytouch 3G/4G, iPhone 3G/3GS, MyTouch 3G Slide, HTC HD2, BB 9100, LG G2x, Sensation, Note 2, Note 3