Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 40,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which phone for best 4G LTE signal with OMNIROM

Tip us?

Ancientsthe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Which phone for best 4G LTE signal with OMNIROM

First of all I like the Nightly OMNIROM very much, in fact I do like it so much I want my next phone with OMNIROM.

My current phone Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 does not support 4G LTE so I am looking for a new phone that does support 4G LTE and has an OMNIROM build for it. I do like the new Note III N9005 myself but no OMNIROM so that one is off.

Who has some good experience with strong 4G LTE signal on a OMNIROM phone?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,370

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientsthe View Post
First of all I like the Nightly OMNIROM very much, in fact I do like it so much I want my next phone with OMNIROM.

My current phone Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 does not support 4G LTE so I am looking for a new phone that does support 4G LTE and has an OMNIROM build for it. I do like the new Note III N9005 myself but no OMNIROM so that one is off.

Who has some good experience with strong 4G LTE signal on a OMNIROM phone?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
Nexus 5.

Oppo Find7a should be well supported too, but won't be sure for another few weeks once we actually get devices in our hands.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeffsf
Old
(Last edited by jeffsf; 18th April 2014 at 06:12 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 975

DONATE TO ME
The strength of support is likely more important than a dB or two of difference in radio performance. The better phones on the market generally have decent radios and RF design and the differences will be small.

The huge differences are in how complete the vendor's kernel source and driver/proprietary-bit drops are today, and what they might look like for LemonDrop or whatever it might be.

"Open Source" doesn't mean that you can necessarily compile a working version from scratch, even of just what was shipped, not to mention some custom variant.

A phone like the Nexus 5 is much more likely to have good source and future support than, on the opposite extreme, something like the various Chinese phones that don't even have the legally required GPL source and build toolchain available.

Read the various phone forums related to the phones you are considering. Also read the dev threads between the pretty pictures -- are the dev's "politely swearing" at the vendor because this or that major feature just doesn't work and they "can't get it to compile" or lots of "took the code from [some other phone] to get it to work" statements? I've personally done enough swearing at Some phones' crappy developer support to leave the galaxy entirely.
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]