Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 39,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is HTC cheating to increase battery life?

Tip us?

harrytech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is HTC cheating to increase battery life?

I have checked various sources about HTC One M8 benchmark, *and ALL anti-cheating benchmark like BaseMark X, Antutu X or Geekbench 3 M8 showed unreasonable low scores compared to Galaxy S5 (the difference of 801ab and 801ac is not that big) *

I suspect that HTC is doing something with the CPU to improve the battery life. That's why they are cheating with normal benchmarks (toggle can be turned off with normal apps, not benchmark applications - Anandtech). The difference of the real world performance maybe negligible but I think we want to be cheated.

Anybody can help me by renaming benchmark apps like quadrant or Linpack and comparing to S5 result? Thanks.

pedyvirus
Old
Thanks Meter 363
well htc one m8 has and performance mode and you can disable it
so you cant say htc is cheating

my device: htc one m8 gunmetal
last device: xperia play (going to sell it after repair)
noob in xda is recognized developer in other forums
big metallica fan is here

ivicask
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12,867

DONATE TO ME
If you call software/hardware optimization a cheating in order to improve battery life, i hope they cheat ever more!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivicask For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hung2900
Old
Thanks Meter 79
I recognized what OP said before from a review on ePrice (Taiwanese). HTC is definitely doing something subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedyvirus View Post
well htc one m8 has and performance mode and you can disable it
so you cant say htc is cheating
I thought that Anandtech said the toggle allows your normal apps can run with the CPU level in benchmark, not to turn the "benchmark optimization" off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivicask View Post
If you call software/hardware optimization a cheating in order to improve battery life, i hope they cheat ever more!
I totally agree about battery optimization. But the way HTC doing is they want to deceive customer that they are the best of both world: benchmark and battery. I don't care about benchmark, just the real performance but many people care. Just think about the benchmark scores, if they didn't cheat and all reviews show that the scores are only 3/4 compare to S5, what would you think? Antutu X showed only 27k, which is equivalent exactly 3/4 of GS5 (36k).
The Following User Says Thank You to hung2900 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

harrytech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivicask View Post
It's cheating intended. Lower the CPU with the performance similar to to 1.9 2.0 GHz but still advertise as 2.5 GHz CPU!

hung2900
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytech View Post
It's cheating intended. Lower the CPU with the performance similar to to 1.9 2.0 GHz but still advertise as 2.5 GHz CPU!
It sounds like an automatic CPU battery saving mode, not "optimization", lol

BrockFerens
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytech View Post
2.3* if you want to be a stat who're buy a GS5 my M8 does everything I ask of it.

Sent from my Renovated Elemental M8

harrytech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockFerens View Post
2.3* if you want to be a stat who're buy a GS5 my M8 does everything I ask of it.

Sent from my Renovated Elemental M8
Oh 2.34 GHz. Actually I agree with you. Last year Snapdragon 600 on my M7 is totally enough. We only need better GPU, no need for CPU. But I'm still waiting for any manufacturer dares to lower down the CPU "officially" to increase the battery life (not in a subtle way like this), similar to HTC itself shrinked down the number of MPs for a bigger pixel size.

Ghost
Old
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,007
Thread closed,

Remember forum rules. Please use existing threads were possible before creating new ones eg: How is your battery life. Please discuss here

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe