Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Is HTC cheating to increase battery life?

OP harrytech

18th April 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I have checked various sources about HTC One M8 benchmark, *and ALL anti-cheating benchmark like BaseMark X, Antutu X or Geekbench 3 M8 showed unreasonable low scores compared to Galaxy S5 (the difference of 801ab and 801ac is not that big) *

I suspect that HTC is doing something with the CPU to improve the battery life. That's why they are cheating with normal benchmarks (toggle can be turned off with normal apps, not benchmark applications - Anandtech). The difference of the real world performance maybe negligible but I think we want to be cheated.

Anybody can help me by renaming benchmark apps like quadrant or Linpack and comparing to S5 result? Thanks.
18th April 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #2  
Flag shiraz
Thanks Meter: 364

1,160 posts
More
well htc one m8 has and performance mode and you can disable it
so you cant say htc is cheating
18th April 2014, 10:04 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 13,306

3,500 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you call software/hardware optimization a cheating in order to improve battery life, i hope they cheat ever more!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivicask For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2014, 10:27 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 81

289 posts
I recognized what OP said before from a review on ePrice (Taiwanese). HTC is definitely doing something subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedyvirus

well htc one m8 has and performance mode and you can disable it
so you cant say htc is cheating

I thought that Anandtech said the toggle allows your normal apps can run with the CPU level in benchmark, not to turn the "benchmark optimization" off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivicask

If you call software/hardware optimization a cheating in order to improve battery life, i hope they cheat ever more!

I totally agree about battery optimization. But the way HTC doing is they want to deceive customer that they are the best of both world: benchmark and battery. I don't care about benchmark, just the real performance but many people care. Just think about the benchmark scores, if they didn't cheat and all reviews show that the scores are only 3/4 compare to S5, what would you think? Antutu X showed only 27k, which is equivalent exactly 3/4 of GS5 (36k).
The Following User Says Thank You to hung2900 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2014, 10:31 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivicask

It's cheating intended. Lower the CPU with the performance similar to to 1.9 2.0 GHz but still advertise as 2.5 GHz CPU!
18th April 2014, 10:35 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 81

289 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytech

It's cheating intended. Lower the CPU with the performance similar to to 1.9 2.0 GHz but still advertise as 2.5 GHz CPU!

It sounds like an automatic CPU battery saving mode, not "optimization", lol
18th April 2014, 10:37 AM   |  #7  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 24

433 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrytech

2.3* if you want to be a stat who're buy a GS5 my M8 does everything I ask of it.

Sent from my Renovated Elemental M8
18th April 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockFerens

2.3* if you want to be a stat who're buy a GS5 my M8 does everything I ask of it.

Sent from my Renovated Elemental M8

Oh 2.34 GHz. Actually I agree with you. Last year Snapdragon 600 on my M7 is totally enough. We only need better GPU, no need for CPU. But I'm still waiting for any manufacturer dares to lower down the CPU "officially" to increase the battery life (not in a subtle way like this), similar to HTC itself shrinked down the number of MPs for a bigger pixel size.
18th April 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #9  
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,402

6,303 posts
Thread closed,

Remember forum rules. Please use existing threads were possible before creating new ones eg: How is your battery life. Please discuss here

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread