FORUMS

Dr.Ketan Brings The S6 Theme Store To The Note 4

Dr.Ketan has submitted a video to the forums showing a functional port of the Galaxy S6 … more

Do You Have Insurance on Your Smartphone?

While affordable smartphones are becoming more available, the majority of high-end flagships … more

Apple Music Will Increase iTunes Match to 100,000 Songs

The battle for music streaming subscription dominance is starting to really heat … more

Xposed Framework Updated to v65

Xposed Framework is an extremely popular modification platform for Android, so much so that we included … more

Probably Need Root???

383 posts
Thanks Meter: 13
 
By TeldenW, Senior Member on 18th April 2014, 03:51 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Is there any way to get the S5's Messaging App installed onto my Note3 (running official 4.4.2 NC2) without being rooted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
 
 
18th April 2014, 07:38 AM |#2  
Dankchild's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks Meter: 111
 
Donate to Me
More
Have you tried installing it as a normal apk with unknown sources allowed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dankchild For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2014, 02:08 PM |#3  
zacharyt86's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Decatur, IL
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankchild

Have you tried installing it as a normal apk with unknown sources allowed?

I just tried that, got the .apk from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2690997 it installs fine, but the app FC's all over the place and uninstalls itself after reboot. The thread says to move it to system/app or priv-app, but we can't do that because there is no root yet for NC2
The Following User Says Thank You to zacharyt86 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2014, 02:40 PM |#4  
TeldenW's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Provo, UTAH
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankchild

Have you tried installing it as a normal apk with unknown sources allowed?

Dank, I did try that. I got the apk from the post right below yours. Had some problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
18th April 2014, 02:42 PM |#5  
TeldenW's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Provo, UTAH
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharyt86

I just tried that, got the .apk from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2690997 it installs fine, but the app FC's all over the place and uninstalls itself after reboot. The thread says to move it to system/app or priv-app, but we can't do that because there is no root yet for NC2

I tried the same thing. I was quite disappointed when I got all the FCs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
18th April 2014, 06:38 PM |#6  
Dankchild's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks Meter: 111
 
Donate to Me
More
I was thinking, its definitely going to be tough to get it into /system/app without mounting it RW (root necessary). This is just a thought, would an update.zip containing the apk be able to be flashed in the stock recovery?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk
18th April 2014, 06:43 PM |#7  
TeldenW's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Provo, UTAH
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankchild

I was thinking, its definitely going to be tough to get it into /system/app without mounting it RW (root necessary). This is just a thought, would an update.zip containing the apk be able to be flashed in the stock recovery?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Can you do that without being rooted??
*(And more importantly), what happens if that goes wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
18th April 2014, 06:47 PM |#8  
Dankchild's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks Meter: 111
 
Donate to Me
More
I think stock recovery has an option to flash an "update.zip". What happens if it goes wrong? I have no idea. I've never had to install a system app without root, I'm just trying to think of something that might work. I mean root browsers and adb are ruled out. Other than flashing, I don't know of many other ways to get an app in there. >.<

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Dankchild For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes