Q&A/T Thread for OFFICIAL Paranoid Android 4+

Search This thread

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Yes. And JC. Just curious. OK cryp. I will try it

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Yeah I can't really see anything in that log that helps anything, so I would recommend:
  • Nandroid backup
  • Wipe Cache/Dalvik/Data/System/Android Secure (NOT Internal Storage unless you hate what's on your "sdcard"/internal storage)
  • Flash 4/17 ROM and latest GApps of your choice
  • Wipe Cache/Dalvik again
  • Reboot
  • Setup ROM, let Play Store backups install, etc. Let the ROM stabilize and clear all recent apps
  • Reboot to Recovery
  • Go to Advanced > Fix Permissions and run that
  • Clear Cache/Dalvik again
  • Reboot
  • Let the ROM fully boot and settle
  • Go into Settings > Developer options, and turn on ART
  • Read the warning, and Proceed, your device will reboot
  • This first boot will take A WHILE, and so will the 'Upgrading Android' portion, this is because all the app caches are being rebuilt with ART instead of Dalvik, JUST WAIT.

ART should now be working fine, if it isn't, then I have to say it's something with your firmware/hboot version, or your phone hardware itself.

I ran 5.18 a cpl days back.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Ummm..I figured since it was my profile...I could post any way I pleased...but OK..next time I will write the whole words. .no more acronyms.. Laugh out loud!

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ummm..I figured since it was my profile...I could post any way I pleased...but OK..next time I will write the whole words. .no more acronyms.. Laugh out loud!

Of course it's your profile, but you still need to abide by the rules of XDA, and one of the rules of XDA is that users only post in English. There's a big difference, lol is a universally accepted acronym so it's one that would be deemed to be ok, but when you use completely obscure (and made up) acronyms that are essentially only known to yourself, like jc or jw, it only confuses people and shows disrespect to other users of the site. After all it isn't that difficult to spell a word out correctly is it? Abbreviating words and using acronyms only makes the author seem lazy and unintelligent. Just because we're on the internet it doesn't mean good grammar and spelling should go out the window, I wouldn't write in a manner on here in a way that I wouldn't write to a work colleague.

Sent from my Evita

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
Is it that hard to actually write the words?

Sent from my Evita

Of course it's your profile, but you still need to abide by the rules of XDA, and one of the rules of XDA is that users only post in English. There's a big difference, lol is a universally accepted acronym so it's one that would be deemed to be ok, but when you use completely obscure (and made up) acronyms that are essentially only known to yourself, like jc or jw, it only confuses people and shows disrespect to other users of the site. After all it isn't that difficult to spell a word out correctly is it? Abbreviating words and using acronyms only makes the author seem lazy and unintelligent. Just because we're on the internet it doesn't mean good grammar and spelling should go out the window, I wouldn't write in a manner on here in a way that I wouldn't write to a work colleague.

Sent from my Evita

Okay let's kill this before it begins shall we? :) I understand why acronyms would be frowned upon, especially cpl? Had to read that one twice xD But I understood it and it wasn't a problem. Now I have a point to make, Firstly, Sometimes it's okay to abbreviate (but we want it to be legible) I don't usually do that but if I'm in a hurry and I see I get a reply on my phone I might use some txt lingo not thinking but I think that's fine but on the other hand, I don't want to make a habbit of this, because I could even argue that this website is a learning establishment. So bottom line, according to what I believe is, It's okay to abbreviate as long as it's legible, but let's not make a habbit of it okay? :)

also, I see people and actually use jw all the time xD So I guess I'd say only use acronyms that you think can be easily figured despite popularity

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisb906

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I disagree, there's just no excuse for not using proper spelling and grammar, especially on a site where learning is happening. You can argue the point all you like but the fact remains that English is the only language allowed on XDA and as far as I know there are no words in the English language like cpl, jw, or jc. It's pure laziness to not type simple words out properly.

Sent from my Evita

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
I disagree, there's just no excuse for not using proper spelling and grammar, especially on a site where learning is happening. You can argue the point all you like but the fact remains that English is the only language allowed on XDA and as far as I know there are no words in the English language like cpl, jw, or jc. It's pure laziness to not type simple words out properly.

Sent from my Evita

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/LOL

Abbreviations like these are added to the Oxford dictionaries (The go-to English dictionary) all the time. So in fact it is proper spelling and grammar. However I do understand as this can be taken as rude. Your argument that English is the only language allowed on XDA isn't a very good one considering that they are English abbreviations and are actually being added to dictionaries.

So the bottom line is that people should be able to abbreviate, but if you use something that someone doesn't understand, that's on you. That's on your credibility and on how people view you, so maybe strive from doing that. But on the other hand it shouldn't start an arguement on the forum just because of it xD now let's please get back to Q&A about PA.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/LOL

Abbreviations like these are added to the Oxford dictionaries (The go-to English dictionary) all the time. So in fact it is proper spelling and grammar. However I do understand as this can be taken as rude. Your argument that English is the only language allowed on XDA isn't a very good one considering that they are English abbreviations and are actually being added to dictionaries.

So the bottom line is that people should be able to abbreviate, but if you use something that someone doesn't understand, that's on you. That's on your credibility and on how people view you, so maybe strive from doing that. But on the other hand it shouldn't start an arguement on the forum just because of it xD now let's please get back to Q&A about PA.

I stated in my original post that the use of "lol" is universally accepted, so is not a problem, you're using an example that I'm not even talking about. My point was that abbreviations like jc, jw, and lazy spelling like cpl are not acceptable.

Sent from my Evita

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
I stated in my original post that the use of "lol" is universally accepted, so is not a problem, you're using an example that I'm not even talking about. My point was that abbreviations like jc, jw, and lazy spelling like cpl are not acceptable.

Sent from my Evita

My point is that some abbreviates are widely used but many people don't know them, your the only person who didn't know what jw meant, so people should try not to abbreviate but when they do then people who don't understand should just ask instead of giving them a paragraph about how they have bad grammar. Now can we please agree to disagree? xD

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
I refuse to back down on this matter, it's downright disrespectful to other members of this community to be too lazy to write properly. Just because you tolerate it doesn't mean anyone else has to.

Sent from my Evita

Well okay, if we're not going to end this argument like that then I guess I'll give my reasoning. Disrespect is something that's different for every person on the planet, it's how we interpret something that's been said or done right? So, that means that it's about impossible to do anything without someone finding it disrespectful or offensive. But still, we're all polite people here so we don't want to offend others. Now you said that lol is universally accepted, which isn't too far off but still isn't true. There are people (Those darn grammar Nazis) that would find that disrespectful or offensive. But let's just talk about the everyone besides them. I'm sure that we can both agree that language changes in time and along with that, what's found offensive or disrespectful has changed. Imagine us going back to the 1800s and speaking to people and we would just be hooligans. Now let's apply that to present day. Besides speaking directly, texting is the second most popular means of talking and most people use the txt lingo when doing so, they don't mean to be disrespectful or offensive, it's just faster. Of course there is a time and place for that but in the later years txt lingo has become more and more widespread and is used in most places. So I don't expect people to not use it on here, I mean it's the internet, it's going to happen. But, me, personally would just prefer people to be more understanding of this change. This is a place where people from ~ 10-50 year olds converse so I think people really need to be understanding. I also think that people should use Google more if they have questions about abbreviations, I mean when I was a noob I had to so many times I mean, PA CM HBOOT ROOT PIE etc. I think at this point it's kinda expected that people will need to Google things on this forum. So that's my piece, if it convinced you, good, if not, then good too. I just need to mow my lawn, so I'd appreciate an end to this conversation soon x)

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Your question was a few pages back but I wanted to add something to my answer :p
I did just notice that while on ART , listening to music takes up WAY less battery compared to when I was on Dalvik, so if you listen to music a lot then I would recommend this to you.

Last edited:

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I just want a run time to whereas my battery would last longer along with apps. Oh no. I abbreviated applications.. I'm in trouble.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well okay, if we're not going to end this argument like that then I guess I'll give my reasoning. Disrespect is something that's different for every person on the planet, it's how we interpret something that's been said or done right? So, that means that it's about impossible to do anything without someone finding it disrespectful or offensive. But still, we're all polite people here so we don't want to offend others. Now you said that lol is universally accepted, which isn't too far off but still isn't true. There are people (Those darn grammar Nazis) that would find that disrespectful or offensive. But let's just talk about the everyone besides them. I'm sure that we can both agree that language changes in time and along with that, what's found offensive or disrespectful has changed. Imagine us going back to the 1800s and speaking to people and we would just be hooligans. Now let's apply that to present day. Besides speaking directly, texting is the second most popular means of talking and most people use the txt lingo when doing so, they don't mean to be disrespectful or offensive, it's just faster. Of course there is a time and place for that but in the later years txt lingo has become more and more widespread and is used in most places. So I don't expect people to not use it on here, I mean it's the internet, it's going to happen. But, me, personally would just prefer people to be more understanding of this change. This is a place where people from ~ 10-50 year olds converse so I think people really need to be understanding. I also think that people should use Google more if they have questions about abbreviations, I mean when I was a noob I had to so many times I mean, PA CM HBOOT ROOT PIE etc. I think at this point it's kinda expected that people will need to Google things on this forum. So that's my piece, if it convinced you, good, if not, then good too. I just need to mow my lawn, so I'd appreciate an end to this conversation soon x)

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Your question was a few pages back but I wanted to add something to my answer :p
I did just notice that while on ART , listening to music takes up WAY less battery compared to when I was on Dalvik, so if you listen to music a lot then I would recommend this to you.

Using the 1800's analogy doesn't quite fit. We're living in the present and until jw, jc, and whatever other stupid terms might be used are added to the Oxford dictionary I refuse to acknowledge them as a part of the English language. Tl;dr, don't speak like an idiot, it really isn't that hard.

PS. I know exactly what jw means, I was making a point.

Sent from my Evita

pandasa123

Jul 20, 2013
South Grafton
For god's sake, this is really stupid. Timmaaa has a point: there are some people who wouldn't know what jw or jc or jic means. Honestly, that could mean anything...

And then the example of "lol"- We all know what lol means. But you can't expect everyone to know and be able to help

Basically, what I'm saying - if you want to help or want help, the best way of doing so is by being clear. Being clear entails that you try your best and use English so that we can understand

Reactions: G4 Man2

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I never said I didn't agree with Tim. All I thought was I didn't mean to offend anyone. I do type on my Tapatalk app a lot so abbreviations are easier for me. I never meant any disrespect

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Anyways.. Back to the question at hand. Has anyone tried ART on this ROM? looking for better performance

Reactions: pandasa123

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
So all in all u not recommend it? I think I will wait til its developed more. Out of curiosity , how come Roms don't come defaulted with Art? Cuz of its development stage?

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
So all in all u not recommend it? I think I will wait til its developed more. Out of curiosity , how come Roms don't come defaulted with Art? Cuz of its development stage?

Yup. It's rumored that the next big release will use ART by default but until then we're sticking to Dalvik. Like I said the only reason they included ART as an option was to show developers what was to come. The guy behind the Xposed framework actually refuses to port to ART until it sees primetime just because it's still so far in development that when it sees the light of day it might be a completely different monster. My recommendation is to try ART, play with it, but not use it as a daily driver unless you see a huge gain in something you care about.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I tried xposed on pa but it wasn't successful.. I kept getting FCS on apps..as far as tiles goes..I don't think u can change that

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Coming in the next build!
    • (CM) Finally a fix to the systemui/out-of-memory issues, as seen here: CM Gerrit and CM GitHub
    • (CM) After longer than a year wait, headset controls and 3.5mm port accessories (such as the Square credit card reader) now work again! CM GitHub
    • (PA) Quiet hours make their return!
    • (PA) More ;)
    Q&A/T Thread for OFFICIAL Paranoid Android 4.4.2

Mod fixx
    Deview is going to solve the problem for you, not the ROM, because I haven't heard it from any other testers, which pretty much means it's something to do with your setup.

In better news! I plan on posting my first build up in a couple of hours, and for those of you who are testing, here is the projected changelog from the "test build" you guys all had:
    - Charging LED works! (I pretty much refused to release a build to the public without this working because I rely on it myself so heavily)
    - LTE select-able properly through Settings > Mobile Networks
    - (Still waiting on the build to finish to test, but SHOULD BE) PA's built-in Lightbulb app, tile, and widget are fixed.
    I'm looking forward to your next update. I'm done tinkering around with the latest AT&T stock RUU and ready to flash something new. I see you working pretty hard with this one and I've never tried PA on my Evita.
    It wasn't exactly a guarantee that we'd get something out, but I'm happy to say that Andre was trolling on G+ yesterday, and we got the buildbot going overnight. There's a new build going out over the OTA app and in the OP of the development thread. Goo is back as a mirror (and OTA source) as well. LOTS AND LOTS of fixes, including the incredibly annoying out-of-memory bugs that CM recently fixed, you'll find the Evita changelog as well as the link to the PA one in the OP of the dev thread.

Enjoy! I'll be back around after the weekend.
    Aaaalright I just got a WiFi (finally) and downloaded the new built, no systemui issue :) now turning to ART :) just a question though : is torched compatible with ART ? I guess so but I don't think it was ever mentioned so I was wondering...

ART working :) No systemui anymore I know I'm repeating myself but im really glad it worked :) thx for all your hard work :) I'll report again in a few days :)

I genuinely don't care for XDA rules at the moment, I've been at a Rage Against The Machine tribute all night, so I'll just say this...

F*ck yeah man! I'm so glad to hear it, and I hope the ROM runs beautifully for you.

I'm with all you guys, I have an older phone at this point and I want it to be current and running well. Paranoid Android means a solid team and a solid ROM, and it's worth sticking with because... Well, we care, we own these phones, we want them to run well. I use my Evita EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And if my ROM isn't working well, I'll be the first to know.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks for the support and downloads, I am keeping track ;)

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app