Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 44,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

get to KK from JB; noob help?

Tip us?

WBzero
Old
(Last edited by WBzero; 17th April 2014 at 05:08 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default get to KK from JB; noob help?

Hello kind fellows,
As you can see, I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff, and never been active here before. My friend hangs out here a bunch, and suggested I post this...
I'm not a total idiot, but I admit to being kinda confused about Samsung devices, what with the firmware, baseband, modem, and ROM all being separate things? I know just enough to get my self in trouble, but really pretty good at following directions. Which is how I arrived here.
This is my first Samsung device, and I used CF-autoroot and then some stockish ROM (w/o knox? from freeza?) to get to where I am now. That was ages ago.
Everything runs smooth as hell, and I LOVE this Note3. But since I'm rooted (w/ knox counter tripped), obviously I have not been getting updates.
Looks like I've been missing out on some new stuff.

I'm hoping someone can give me a quick list of "things to flash", in what order, to get to .... looks like NC5d? I want to be totally up to date, rooted w/ custom recovery, and on .... I think Freeza again? newest stock w/ no knox? (unless someone has something better to recommend, a tweeked stockish ROM?)

Thanks for reading!

if anyone needs more info, i'll provide what i can, but the details on how i got here are fuzzy....
also, if there IS a post somewhere that would give me this info, point me in that direction!

kingdazy
Old
Thanks Meter 685
Sorry, I'm in the middle of a hockey game (go flyers), but if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm sure someone'll point you in the right direction. (friendly bump for the newb)
Should be fairly easy, a couple Odin flashes and a rom....

Sent from my calculator watch.
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Rooted and ready! Too easy!
Running ☆ ★ Something from this section!! ★ ☆ (usually stock/rooted)
ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 - AndroidWookie FTW!!

WBzero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
No one, guys?
C'mon. I'm just really scared of borking my phone, and frankly I get lost between the leak thread, the stock thread, the twrp stuff... the posts saying "you must be on so and so firmware before flashing this, or bad things blah..."

cmdauria
Old
Thanks Meter 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBzero View Post
No one, guys?
C'mon. I'm just really scared of borking my phone, and frankly I get lost between the leak thread, the stock thread, the twrp stuff... the posts saying "you must be on so and so firmware before flashing this, or bad things blah..."
Are you on Mj4 or Nab right now?

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to cmdauria For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WBzero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdauria View Post
Are you on Mj4 or Nab right now?

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda premium
looks like mj4 all around...

cmdauria
Old
Thanks Meter 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBzero View Post
looks like mj4 all around...
The best I can do is point you in the direction that I took. I am sure that there are more efficient ways to accomplish this now but when I updated, this method worked perfectly. This method will get you from Mj4 to Nab(d). Once you get to Nab(d) you will be on Kit Kat. From there it takes about 2 minutes to update to the latest firmware and bootloader.

Just go to post #5 in the following thread and follow the directions. Back up your internal memory as it will be wiped out during this process. Also remember once you are on KitKat you can not go back to Jellybean...So do not try!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2656802
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmdauria For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]