Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,993 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Venom Rom Verizon M8 Debloat

Tip us?

elevatorguy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
That doesn't help to much the page the link sends me to is talking about not working on T-Mobile

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

WorldOfJohnboy
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperboost View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am S-Off, I must of misunderstood the Venom Rom 1.2.0 Update it said OTA Carrier Support. I guess that has something to do with the apps. I'm not to sure where to start in removing the Verizon Sim checker thing and Verizon apps... I was just hoping that I can do another Rom Flash that would get rid of the bloatware.
ViperOne uses Aroma installer when you first install the "base" ROM... there are options along the way before the ROM flashes where you can selectively choose not to install certain Apps that are considered bloat (though I don't recall if the apps you don't want are listed). Worst case, you can use a file explorer (as others have posted), or even an App like Titanium Backup would allow you to Freeze/Uninstall anything you don't want. Sometimes, people have created simple scripts that send ADB commands to delete bloat... not sure if anyone has for the M8 though.

As far as "OTA," if you don't have stock recovery, you could try to install the VZW OTA updates, but it won't take as it only will flash using stock recovery (if my memory serves me well). Team Venom is one of the few ROM development teams that have their own OTA updates, but it has nothing to do with Verizon's OTA updates. With the M7 Verizon, I had to flash my OTA files via Recovery as I don't think Team Venom was able to get the Settings>About>Software Update to work. I was told that the OTA works on the M8 with Verizon phones, though I haven't tried it yet.

If Verizon releases an OTA that updates Radios or Firmware, it's best to wait for someone to release a flashable version for those that are S-off/rooted. I don't believe that any of the major carriers have released an OTA update with the phone being so new anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to WorldOfJohnboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hyperboost
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldOfJohnboy View Post
ViperOne uses Aroma...
Thanks for the reply! This phone is great, upgraded from my HOX international version with Team Venom Rom. So it's my first time dealing with a carrier based phone. I wish I knew how to remove the Verizon SIM check thing for the Viper One Rom. " The SIM Card is from an Unkown Source".