Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,383 Members 51,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Reasons to prefer this phone (new byer perspective). 1 . Camera.

Tip us?

nabbed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Default Reasons to prefer this phone (new byer perspective). 1 . Camera.

New thread series - reasons to buy this phone from a new user, who is myself.

My Android phone history - HTC EVO, HTC EVO 3D, Sprint Epic 4G Touch, HTC Evo LTE, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4.

---Camera---

I always have to take 3-5 consecutive shots to get a sharp picture. I think it's because my hands shake, and there's not much I can do about it - it's enough to make even the best-focused shot blurry. This has always been the case with me and smartphone cameras - hold as still as you can, take 3+ shots, and hope you got a good one.

Not so - enter the HTC One m8 camera.
I took many test shots in a Verizon store, and each shot was nearly perfectly focused, after a single try.
I also took many test shots with an S5 in a US Cellular store, and *none* of the shots were focused.
So 16 megapixels were ruined by bad focusing, while 4 megapixels were great on this phone.

I may be somewhat biased because I'm now an owner of the 4MP HTC One m8, but even S5's 16MP camera couldn't hold a candle to the 4MP in my hands.

Please discuss.

DjCalvin
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Try zooming in..
That's where the camera falls short. (only downfall I see)
I still love it though.

Devices:
Droid
Droid Eris
Droid X
HTC Incredible
HTC Evo
Droid X2
Xoom
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 7 <Current>
Galaxy S3
Htc One M8 <Current>

p2kmafia
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Ya, but that front facing camera though. Snapchat is ****ing dope though

nabbed
Old
(Last edited by nabbed; 18th April 2014 at 02:05 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjCalvin View Post
Try zooming in..
That's where the camera falls short. (only downfall I see)
I still love it though.
Well, you are right in the general sense. 16MP(S5) looks MUCH better than 4MP (factor of 2 in sharpness - 2x2 vs. 4x4) under ideal circumstances. But that isn't the only variable.
But my point was like this - even if I zoom in, blurry cannot be fixed, because of bad focusing on Samsung phones. Blurring made my 13MP shots (S4) look like 1MP at best!

I was actually amazed at how well the HTC camera can help me focus shots - basically, all I had to do was press the button.
Also, the "best shot" is automatic with this camera, whereas on S4, you had to choose the best shot yourself (which makes zero sense.)

While the possibility is there to have better shots with Samsung phones, for me personally, not having to think about the quality and still get good shots is much more important.

hxdrummerxc
Old
(Last edited by hxdrummerxc; 18th April 2014 at 02:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 53
I got my wife the S5 for "free" when I bought my m8.

While the camera on the S5 can be good with 16MP, it also makes you hold the damn phone for like 5 seconds to take the picture. Its so annoying. If you were trying to hurry and take a quick snap of something, you wouldn't stand a chance. You hit the shutter button and it seriously says something like "hold steady..." I can't remember exactly, but it take forever to snap the picture.

My m8 on the other hand, is damn instant. Sometimes I feel like I didn't even touch the shutter button yet lol.

People always get locked on the Mega Pixels. Mega Pixels does not mean better camera/pictures. I am a photographer by hobby, and any real photographer will also tell you this. Yes its true, the more mega pixels, the clearer the image usually is when you zoom in to details. (at least on a phone that is) on a real camera, a quality lens can also make or break.

My point here is, I have a 12MP Cannon DSLR that is quite a few years old now. But I have a lot of equipment (lenses, filters, etc), and even though its only 12MP it will still make any phone camera, and also most any point-and-shoot digital camera look bad. Case-in-point = Mega Pixels doesn't mean better pictures. It means bigger pictures and larger possible print sizes. Phone manufactures know that most people think "more MP=better", and they use that to market their device to attempt to sell more (Hence all the 16MP, 20mp and even 40mp phone cameras. They know people will literally say "ohhhh more mega pixels, that will take amazing photos". Lets face it, 99% of the users are NOT going to be making large 30" photo prints with their phone pictures. So IT DOESN'T MATTER.

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1762
I love this camera.

I just came from a 13 megapixel G2. It WISHES it could hold a candle to this camera. Seriously.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

trook
Old
Thanks Meter 133
I agree. I will take this 4mp over my old s4's 12 any day.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app
Hash for President