Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Overclocking

OP qwertyuiop404

17th April 2014, 12:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Cebu City
Thanks Meter: 0
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
So, I overclocked my CPU frequency to 1836MHz and my GPU frequency to 450MHz and after playing a game for like 10mins, my phone gets really hot. I know its normal but I would like to ask, did I overclocked my phone too much that it can destroy my phone? And what is the overheat temperature for my phone(HTC One)? So I can monitor it.

Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th April 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #2  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,388
 
3,593 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop404

So, I overclocked my CPU frequency to 1836MHz and my GPU frequency to 450MHz and after playing a game for like 10mins, my phone gets really hot. I know its normal but I would like to ask, did I overclocked my phone too much that it can destroy my phone? And what is the overheat temperature for my phone(HTC One)? So I can monitor it.

Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes its possible to permanently damage your phone if your overclock is too much aggressive or your phone get to hot. Every chip is slightly different so you'll have to test your phone for each frequency steps you do. Like a computer, you should start overclocking in small increments till you reach a maximum stable config and then reduce it a bit for safety. And always monitor temperature, over-temping is your worst enemy when overclocking.

For the max temp question I don't really know, you might want to check qualcomm site for max safe cpu temps. Don't forget some other components doesn't like high temperature. Semi-conductors components life are reduced in high temp conditions and generally, lithium-ion battery doesn't like high temperatures...
Last edited by alray; 18th April 2014 at 01:26 AM.
18th April 2014, 03:18 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Cebu City
Thanks Meter: 0
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

Yes its possible to permanently damage your phone if your overclock is too much aggressive or your phone get to hot. Every chip is slightly different so you'll have to test your phone for each frequency steps you do. Like a computer, you should start overclocking in small increments till you reach a maximum stable config and then reduce it a bit for safety. And always monitor temperature, over-temping is your worst enemy when overclocking.

For the max temp question I don't really know, you might want to check qualcomm site for max safe cpu temps. Don't forget some other components doesn't like high temperature. Semi-conductors components life are reduced in high temp conditions and generally, lithium-ion battery doesn't like high temperatures...

So basically, overclocking can really destroy my phone? So, i guess ill just switch back to the stock one. Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th April 2014, 04:08 AM   |  #4  
KT-82166's Avatar
Senior Member
Dallas,GA
Thanks Meter: 64
 
256 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop404

So basically, overclocking can really destroy my phone? So, i guess ill just switch back to the stock one. Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That overclock is not going to hurt your phone but the temperature can if it gets too high which can happen at stock clocking. I keep my phone's cpu at 1.134 Ghz and games run great with minimal heat.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
19th April 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Cebu City
Thanks Meter: 0
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Found the information about the temp here
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes