Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,355 Members 39,162 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Overclocking

Tip us?

qwertyuiop404
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Overclocking

So, I overclocked my CPU frequency to 1836MHz and my GPU frequency to 450MHz and after playing a game for like 10mins, my phone gets really hot. I know its normal but I would like to ask, did I overclocked my phone too much that it can destroy my phone? And what is the overheat temperature for my phone(HTC One)? So I can monitor it.

Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 18th April 2014 at 12:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1004

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop404 View Post
So, I overclocked my CPU frequency to 1836MHz and my GPU frequency to 450MHz and after playing a game for like 10mins, my phone gets really hot. I know its normal but I would like to ask, did I overclocked my phone too much that it can destroy my phone? And what is the overheat temperature for my phone(HTC One)? So I can monitor it.

Thank you

Yes its possible to permanently damage your phone if your overclock is too much aggressive or your phone get to hot. Every chip is slightly different so you'll have to test your phone for each frequency steps you do. Like a computer, you should start overclocking in small increments till you reach a maximum stable config and then reduce it a bit for safety. And always monitor temperature, over-temping is your worst enemy when overclocking.

For the max temp question I don't really know, you might want to check qualcomm site for max safe cpu temps. Don't forget some other components doesn't like high temperature. Semi-conductors components life are reduced in high temp conditions and generally, lithium-ion battery doesn't like high temperatures...
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

qwertyuiop404
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
Yes its possible to permanently damage your phone if your overclock is too much aggressive or your phone get to hot. Every chip is slightly different so you'll have to test your phone for each frequency steps you do. Like a computer, you should start overclocking in small increments till you reach a maximum stable config and then reduce it a bit for safety. And always monitor temperature, over-temping is your worst enemy when overclocking.

For the max temp question I don't really know, you might want to check qualcomm site for max safe cpu temps. Don't forget some other components doesn't like high temperature. Semi-conductors components life are reduced in high temp conditions and generally, lithium-ion battery doesn't like high temperatures...
So basically, overclocking can really destroy my phone? So, i guess ill just switch back to the stock one. Thank you

KT-82166
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop404 View Post
So basically, overclocking can really destroy my phone? So, i guess ill just switch back to the stock one. Thank you

That overclock is not going to hurt your phone but the temperature can if it gets too high which can happen at stock clocking. I keep my phone's cpu at 1.134 Ghz and games run great with minimal heat.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

qwertyuiop404
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Found the information about the temp here