DEFY+ (MB526) - a guide for the beginners

Search This thread

aksris

Dec 31, 2011
Bangalore
As the number of DEFY+ owners slowly reaches the number of regular DEFY ones, it's becoming an every day thing to see someone brick his DEFY+ because he flashed a Froyo only ROM. I'm not mad about the fact, I know that it's all confusing when you're doing it for the first time and that's why I'm going to try and make things a bit easier.

1. Introductory information

DEFY+ = Overclocked Bayer lens DEFY and a higher capacity battery

*If you haven't read it already, read the great All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide written by Zephyrot!*

1.1 Downgrading / "bootloader version" issues
-DEFY+ comes with "bootloader version" 6 or 7. What does "bootloader version" mean? Every Motorola .sbf file is made up of many code groups (short: CG) which contain different part of the phone's operating system (kernel, system files, multimedia files etc.). Those code groups are signed by Motorola (otherwise they would make the phone unable to boot when they are flashed) and one part of that signing is a version number. When you flash a .sbf on your phone you cannot flash one that contains CGs signed with number lower that those that have previously been on your phone.
*Only the latest 2.3.6 Motorola ROM's are signed as version 7*

2. Gingerbread ROMs
-Gingerbread ROM's can be flashed on to every DEFY+ that you can root and install 2nd on. No need to worry about kernels, because these ROM work on the Gingerbread kernels and, as you know, every DEFY+ comes with Gingerbread pre-installed.

1. CyanogenMod 7.2 by Quarx - download

2. CyanogenMod 7.2 by Epsylon - download

3. CyanogenMod 9 by Quarx - download

4. CyanogenMod 9 by Epsylon - download

5. CM7 WhiteRabbit Plus Edition by TweetyPeety - download

6. MS2Ginger v3 by walter79 download

3. Froyo ROMs
-These ROM's are meant to work with a Froyo kernel, which is actually quite easy to get to:
..::Guide for flashing a DEFY+ down to Froyo (bl6 only)::..

*My plan for this thread:
-List of all ROM's that include DEFY+ support by the author
-A bit of information on every ROM mentioned
-Guide for installing every ROM on the DEFY+ (Gingerbread or Froyo)
-Battery fixing (so you can charge your DEFY+ battery to 100%) on any ROM
-Overclocking
-A list of version 6 and version 7 Motorola ROM's

:D
It would be awesome-r if you uploaded the Quarx's CM10 over here too! thanks for the work!
:cool:

moors

Jul 2, 2012
you made it simple!

I just want to share that CM9 build 120716 works well on my Defy+ :)

But I had problems rooting my Defy+ and installing CM9. I finally succeded after whole day of trying and want to share my process with others. So basically, this is a

Complete tutorial of how to put CM9 on your stock Defy+

Info for beginners:

All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide explains some basics: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1216982

And to be honest, I didn't understand some phone terms before. So there's a translation to more common terms and quick explanation:
  • ROM = it's the customised operating system your phone runs. ROMs are made by manufacturers or there are custom ROMs like CyanogenMod.
  • Flash = to install a ROM. It's done neither via Play Store nor manual installing of .apk file but you have to install it from so called Recovery Menu.
  • BL = Boot Loader = a little program outside of ROM that is executed when your phone turns on. Boot Loader chooses a ROM and starts loading the ROM into memory so your Android system boots.
  • SBF = System Binary File = file with .sbf extension which contains the Motorola stock ROM you can flash.
  • Rooting = normally you are looged in your Android as a regular user with limited permissions. But sometimes (eg. when installing .apk file) you need absolute control over the system. So you (or some app) need to login to your phone as root - superuser. In stock ROMs, you cannot log in as root. So that's what we're trying to do here, the ability to log in as root.

Before you proceed

Backup your data. Sync contacts, calendar etc. with Google, you're data in the phone will be wiped! But everything on SDcard will remain.

You have to follow all parts I., II. and III. if you still have stock ROM on your phone.

I. Rooting Defy+

Rooting via SuperOneClick didn't work for me. I've seen many posts that it frozen at some point. Maybe it would work if I've wiped data/cache in system recovery. Anyway following steps worked perfectly:

1. Charge your phone to full battery.
2. Download and install Motorola USB drivers: http://developer.motorola.com/tools/usb_drivers/handset_usb_driver_64/
3. Download and install RSD lite: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=784077&d=1321414457. If you see error 2738 during install, follow this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28035772&postcount=15. Reboot recommended after install.
4. Wipe, flash original ROM, wipe, flash rooted ROM, wipe - follow these: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1542956 (how to flash? See below).

How to flash:
1. Get your phone into Boot Loader mode - turn it off, press and hold Vol+ and Power button.
2. Open RSD Lite, click on [...] and choose .sbf file to flash
3. Connect USB to your phone - an icon should appear in RSD lite
4. In RSD lite click Start
5. Don't touch, unplug or turn off your phone
5. After couple of minutes, just flashed ROM should boot. You'll see something like "Press power button". When you press it, screen turns on and you'll see a screen lock and "Finished" in RSD Lite.

Now your Defy+ has got stock ROM and is ROOTED :)

II. Installing Custom Bootloader

This is needed to flash a custom ROMs. Because the stock boot loader allows booting only stock ROMs.

1. Turn on your Defy and install "Apps Installer" from Google Play.
2. Download 2nd init for Defy (SndInitDefy) version 2.3 (lower than 2.0 won't work for flashing CM9): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1032212 and put in on SD card
3. Open Apps Installer and install 2nd init, it changes your bootloader.

III. Flashing CM9

Follow the first post in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26324560&postcount=1

P.S.: I take no responsibility if you damage your phone. But it worked for me very well. Anyway I read that bricking Defy is very very hard because of the stock boot loader.
Thanks for the compilation.I wish your post was there few months earlier.reading your post will give confidence to one before rooting. I read this forum , took help of Pranks,Auris ,jenindran and others .Successfully rooted my defy plus and running CM9 latest by Quarx.moorie:cool:

Karlo+

Oct 15, 2012
Hi everyone!

i am trying to put new android on my Defy+ with 2.3.6. android. i was trying to see what my steps are to do this, but am confused, so pls, can someone just put step by step what to do, where to install what necesery for my phone to put new droid on it. thank you very much everyone ;)

ravikiran1232

Oct 16, 2012
Signature Verification Failed

Hi Guys,

Need Help!!
I have rooted the phone, installed 2nd init. When i try to boot i get this error Signature Verification Failed.
I do not get the blue light while booting, however i have run 2ndinit twice and it says its installed.
I have tried 3 different buids.

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Guys,

Need Help!!
I have rooted the phone, installed 2nd init. When i try to boot i get this error Signature Verification Failed.
I do not get the blue light while booting, however i have run 2ndinit twice and it says its installed.
I have tried 3 different buids.

Need more info, mate... What did you use to install 2ndInit (link?) ? What's your phone's Android and Software version?

ravikiran1232

Oct 16, 2012
Last edited:

dilll1990

Feb 29, 2012
where did you get this fix

i upgraded to Quarx's CM9 nightly and i had a problem with the battery..The percentage was constant..No matter how much i charge or discharge.
So i went for the defy red lens battery fix..now the battery status is displaying correctly but the battery charges only till 81%.
Any fix ?

Can you please link me this fix???
also can you tell me how is your rom is going. do you have any wifi problem??

gbossley

Jan 8, 2013
Baseband

Hi All,

Is it possible that my defy+ (originally a Telstra Australia version) was built with limited baseband capability? I'm now on an Optus network, and have changed the baseband, but considering the phone is meant to have a very strong signal, it appears to be working relatively poorly where range would be expected to be limited (eg. where my old Nokia 6230 received a weak signal, the defy+ receives nothing.

Suggestions (ways to determine the hardware config?) / ways to get a better signal (without spending a bucket on an antenna)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the number of DEFY+ owners slowly reaches the number of regular DEFY ones, it's becoming an every day thing to see someone brick his DEFY+ because he flashed a Froyo only ROM. I'm not mad about the fact, I know that it's all confusing when you're doing it for the first time and that's why I'm going to try and make things a bit easier.

*If you haven't read it already, read the great All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide written by Zephyrot!*

-DEFY+ comes with "bootloader version" 6 or 7. What does "bootloader version" mean? Every Motorola .sbf file is made up of many code groups (short: CG) which contain different part of the phone's operating system (kernel, system files, multimedia files etc.). Those code groups are signed by Motorola (otherwise they would make the phone unable to boot when they are flashed) and one part of that signing is a version number. When you flash a .sbf on your phone you cannot flash one that contains CGs signed with number lower that those that have previously been on your phone.

2. Gingerbread ROMs
    -Gingerbread ROM's can be flashed on to every DEFY+ that you can root and install 2nd on. No need to worry about kernels, because these ROM work on the Gingerbread kernels and, as you know, every DEFY+ comes with Gingerbread pre-installed.

3. Froyo ROMs
    -These ROM's are meant to work with a Froyo kernel, which is actually quite easy to get to:

-Overclocking
    I am using latest gingerbread nightly by quarx.... cm72-20120506-NIGHTLY-Defy+.. The problem is when i send messages to more than 1 person at a time... those messages not getting saved in individual conversations... any help?

Use a third party SMS app, those give you an option to send group message as individual threads.
    Handcent SMS, Go SMS Pro to name some..
    Complete tutorial of how to put Cyanogenmod 9 on stock Defy plus

I just want to share that CM9 build 120716 works well on my Defy+ :)

But I had problems rooting my Defy+ and installing CM9. I finally succeded after whole day of trying and want to share my process with others. So basically, this is a

Complete tutorial of how to put CM9 on your stock Defy+

Info for beginners:

All-in-One Defy Beginner's guide explains some basics: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1216982

And to be honest, I didn't understand some phone terms before. So there's a translation to more common terms and quick explanation:
    • ROM = it's the customised operating system your phone runs. ROMs are made by manufacturers or there are custom ROMs like CyanogenMod.
    • Flash = to install a ROM. It's done neither via Play Store nor manual installing of .apk file but you have to install it from so called Recovery Menu.
    • BL = Boot Loader = a little program outside of ROM that is executed when your phone turns on. Boot Loader chooses a ROM and starts loading the ROM into memory so your Android system boots.
    • SBF = System Binary File = file with .sbf extension which contains the Motorola stock ROM you can flash.
    • Rooting = normally you are looged in your Android as a regular user with limited permissions. But sometimes (eg. when installing .apk file) you need absolute control over the system. So you (or some app) need to login to your phone as root - superuser. In stock ROMs, you cannot log in as root. So that's what we're trying to do here, the ability to log in as root.

Before you proceed

Backup your data. Sync contacts, calendar etc. with Google, you're data in the phone will be wiped! But everything on SDcard will remain.

You have to follow all parts I., II. and III. if you still have stock ROM on your phone.

I. Rooting Defy+

Rooting via SuperOneClick didn't work for me. I've seen many posts that it frozen at some point. Maybe it would work if I've wiped data/cache in system recovery. Anyway following steps worked perfectly:

1. Charge your phone to full battery.
    2. Download and install Motorola USB drivers: http://developer.motorola.com/tools/usb_drivers/handset_usb_driver_64/
    3. Download and install RSD lite: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=784077&d=1321414457. If you see error 2738 during install, follow this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28035772&postcount=15. Reboot recommended after install.
    4. Wipe, flash original ROM, wipe, flash rooted ROM, wipe - follow these: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1542956 (how to flash? See below).

How to flash:
    1. Get your phone into Boot Loader mode - turn it off, press and hold Vol+ and Power button.
    2. Open RSD Lite, click on [...] and choose .sbf file to flash
    3. Connect USB to your phone - an icon should appear in RSD lite
    4. In RSD lite click Start
    5. Don't touch, unplug or turn off your phone
    5. After couple of minutes, just flashed ROM should boot. You'll see something like "Press power button". When you press it, screen turns on and you'll see a screen lock and "Finished" in RSD Lite.

Now your Defy+ has got stock ROM and is ROOTED :)

II. Installing Custom Bootloader

This is needed to flash a custom ROMs. Because the stock boot loader allows booting only stock ROMs.

1. Turn on your Defy and install "Apps Installer" from Google Play.
    2. Download 2nd init for Defy (SndInitDefy) version 2.3 (lower than 2.0 won't work for flashing CM9): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1032212 and put in on SD card
    3. Open Apps Installer and install 2nd init, it changes your bootloader.

III. Flashing CM9

Follow the first post in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26324560&postcount=1

P.S.: I take no responsibility if you damage your phone. But it worked for me very well. Anyway I read that bricking Defy is very very hard because of the stock boot loader.
    Yeah, checked out the latest Epsy build. Seems fabulous, almost everything works, even the panorama.

After hours of scouring threads, I see there is no definitive answer on the battery issue on the Defy+.

I'm using 2.3.6 with Epsy's latest build. Battery charging gets stuck at 81%. Too much trouble to extract the battd from the other builds, since I do not know which one to use and whether it would work. The few which I've tried out dont seem to work. Li-Po battery, charge remains around 4.2.

Can someone make a sticky post and sort this thing out once and for all?

Help would be appreciated.

The battery issues have something to do with both the kernel version and battd.bin file, that seem to be the latest findings.

Anyhow, I'll attach a fix that Al provided for DEFY+ battery on Epsylon's defy+ CM7 builds. For me it works on both CM7 and CM9 defy+ builds by Epsylon, so it might just work for you, too. (although you have a different kernel, so no guarantees)

2. Gingerbread ROMs

3. Froyo ROMs

-Overclocking

:D
    It would be awesome-r if you uploaded the Quarx's CM10 over here too! thanks for the work!
    :cool: