For modders Only bug rooms STOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Serial67

May 22, 2013
I know that build a rom it's not that easy, and make it stable and fully working it's even harder. I also know that drivers and blobs are closed-source, so it's hard to make a device fully working.
But I wanna give some advice, because who want to mod his phone finds about 30/40 roms all unstable and full of bugs.
In my opinion, it's useless to release a rom if it isn't finished, wifi or bluetooth doesn't work, apps force-close, phone reboots randomly or maybe drinks the battery in 2 hours.
Lags in games, the home screen lags with 3/4 widgets. Maybe after a clean install the rom performs well but then you discover that it's not so good.
Let's not forget also that despite the roms are not finished, many times they aren't update any more to solve the bugs, or they are updated but the bugs remain.
I don't mean that ALL the roms have ALL the bugs, but each rom has at least two of those problems.
Some people may say that there are hardware limits to justify the bugs. Or maybe that the battery has to be changed. But those are only excuses considering that on three pages of roms, ONLY one performs well.
I have always been told “you have to change the battery”, or “the phone has got few ram” to justify the bugs. But why with the FluidRom gType (an Italian rom) I manage 24 hours with a normal usage (mobile data always on, wifi, background apps, little playing with games, several calls, facebook and whatsapp)? No lags in games, home and browser. So I assume that “change the battery” and “we have few ram” are only excuses.
If you release a rom only to show that you are able to develop something but then it’s full of bugs, stop. Don’t release it. Or release it when it performs really well.
The 4X it’s a 2012 flagship phone, but the roms are badly developed. So let’s not blame the hardware.
Some people may say “who forces you to change rom?” People try new roms because modders promise improvements.
Maybe this topic will be closed to restrict freedom of speech. But mine are only suggestions.

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
I know that build a rom it's not that easy, and make it stable and fully working it's even harder. I also know that drivers and blobs are closed-source, so it's hard to make a device fully working.
But I wanna give some advice, because who want to mod his phone finds about 30/40 roms all unstable and full of bugs.
In my opinion, it's useless to release a rom if it isn't finished, wifi or bluetooth doesn't work, apps force-close, phone reboots randomly or maybe drinks the battery in 2 hours.
Lags in games, the home screen lags with 3/4 widgets. Maybe after a clean install the rom performs well but then you discover that it's not so good.
Let's not forget also that despite the roms are not finished, many times they aren't update any more to solve the bugs, or they are updated but the bugs remain.
I don't mean that ALL the roms have ALL the bugs, but each rom has at least two of those problems.
Some people may say that there are hardware limits to justify the bugs. Or maybe that the battery has to be changed. But those are only excuses considering that on three pages of roms, ONLY one performs well.
I have always been told “you have to change the battery”, or “the phone has got few ram” to justify the bugs. But why with the FluidRom gType (an Italian rom) I manage 24 hours with a normal usage (mobile data always on, wifi, background apps, little playing with games, several calls, facebook and whatsapp)? No lags in games, home and browser. So I assume that “change the battery” and “we have few ram” are only excuses.
If you release a rom only to show that you are able to develop something but then it’s full of bugs, stop. Don’t release it. Or release it when it performs really well.
The 4X it’s a 2012 flagship phone, but the roms are badly developed. So let’s not blame the hardware.
Some people may say “who forces you to change rom?” People try new roms because modders promise improvements.
Maybe this topic will be closed to restrict freedom of speech. But mine are only suggestions.

Haha, there are so many angles i can take on this.

I and the other 4x developers and users don't owe you ANYTHING, dont like our roms? dont use them, Simple. It amazes me some people are so entitled...

Last edited:

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
I know that... TL;DR

excuse-me-wtf-are-you-doing.jpg

ectoplasma22

Jun 8, 2013
France
OnePlus 10 Pro
Wow ! Never thought I'd read something like this on the 4X forum !
You're so wrong. So so wrong !
Do you realize that when a dev releases a ROM he does this on his time and (most of the time) he doesn't expect anything in return.
Have you ever tried to build a ROM from source ? To compile ? To fix bugs ? To spend hours developing ? I really doubt since you don't realize what this is and the time it takes.
Moreover, our device is "special". The last official update we had was 4.1.2 and thanks to the dev you criticized we are now at 4.4.2 !!! I'm not sure you realized the work of these devs.
Also you say that we don't have any stable ROM but you're wrong ! For me, "stable" means that you can use the ROM daily and profit of all basic and important features of the ROM therefore there ARE stable ROMs ! Since I'm in charge of Beanstalk 4.4.2 I won't give any name but for having personally tried many customs ROMs I can say that we do have stable ROMs.
Everybody has its opinion but man... You're wrong and some devs may understand your post as an offence.
I hope you see what I'm trying to explain.

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

peppethustra

Nov 16, 2012
Catanzaro
Do you realize that when a dev releases a ROM he does this on his time and (most of the time) he doesn't expect anything in return.
Have you ever tried to build a ROM from source ? To compile ? To fix bugs ? To spend hours developing ? I really doubt since you don't realize what this is and the time it takes.
Moreover, our device is "special". The last official update we had was 4.1.2 and thanks to the dev you criticized we are now at 4.4.2 !!! I'm not sure you realized the work of these devs.
Also you say that we don't have any stable ROM but you're wrong ! For me, "stable" means that you can use the ROM daily and profit of all basic and important features of the ROM therefore there ARE stable ROMs ! Since I'm in charge of Beanstalk 4.4.2 I won't give any name but for having personally tried many customs ROMs I can say that we do have stable ROMs.
Everybody has its opinion but man... You're wrong and some devs may understand your post as an offence.

Don't worry ecto, we are talking about it in the italian forum where this kind of discussion began.. And we are composing it saying exactly what you're saying right here..hope that it'll stop as a great mistake, and to go on.. ;)

Sent from my LG-P880 - Beanstalk 4.4.2 - Iodak 9.95 kernel - using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dimi89

Mar 7, 2009
Xiaomi Mi Note 3
We should change abit this letter and sent it to the LG dev-update department so they can ask @Demetris @laufer @adam @Ectoplasma @JoinTheRealms @SnXo (and many other talented and good people) for help next time they decide to push or even make any software for any LG phone.I know.this guyment to say official software not custom one so i am just correcting his type mistake.

Послато са LG-P880 уз помоћ Тапатока

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
whoa, easy there, mate...

First of all, I haven't seen an unstable ROM on our phones up till now. I am personally using CM (unofficial) and SlimKat as my daily drivers, and both are rock stable. The only bugs I have personally encountered are the camera (which is extremely hard to properly fix) and the broken reboot into recovery on Slim. And that's it.
All ROMs you find on xda are made for free, you don't need to pay anything, which means you also can't demand anything. Bringing a ROM to a device can take several hours (disregarding the time the pure download of the sourcecode takes), as every ROM needs its special treatment.
Furthermore, do you have any idea how long the pure compile process takes? On my new machine (which I upgraded for development only) needs ~75min for a clean build. Before that, my lappy was working over 8 hours for a clean build...

Saying we devs wouldn't maintain our ROMs isn't really nice, nor what XDA stands for. We do our best to provide you with the best/fully functional stuff, but there are things we can't fix/improve simply because we don't experience these issues. As an example, I am debugging my kernel ATM, and @FunkyRasta and I both run the kernel, however, FunkyRasta is experiencing lags, that I never experienced. So without his reports, I wouldn't even know about that until someone else might encounter it after the release.
@Serial67, nobody forces you to use "unstable" ROMs, but please don't just complain, but rather give some helpful feedback (logs) to help solve the issues. If you're not willing to provide such info (you don't have to), please don't complain.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    whoa, easy there, mate...

First of all, I haven't seen an unstable ROM on our phones up till now. I am personally using CM (unofficial) and SlimKat as my daily drivers, and both are rock stable. The only bugs I have personally encountered are the camera (which is extremely hard to properly fix) and the broken reboot into recovery on Slim. And that's it.
    All ROMs you find on xda are made for free, you don't need to pay anything, which means you also can't demand anything. Bringing a ROM to a device can take several hours (disregarding the time the pure download of the sourcecode takes), as every ROM needs its special treatment.
    Furthermore, do you have any idea how long the pure compile process takes? On my new machine (which I upgraded for development only) needs ~75min for a clean build. Before that, my lappy was working over 8 hours for a clean build...

Saying we devs wouldn't maintain our ROMs isn't really nice, nor what XDA stands for. We do our best to provide you with the best/fully functional stuff, but there are things we can't fix/improve simply because we don't experience these issues. As an example, I am debugging my kernel ATM, and @FunkyRasta and I both run the kernel, however, FunkyRasta is experiencing lags, that I never experienced. So without his reports, I wouldn't even know about that until someone else might encounter it after the release.
    @Serial67, nobody forces you to use "unstable" ROMs, but please don't just complain, but rather give some helpful feedback (logs) to help solve the issues. If you're not willing to provide such info (you don't have to), please don't complain.

Thread closed.

Haha, there are so many angles i can take on this.

I and the other 4x developers and users don't owe you ANYTHING, dont like our roms? dont use them, Simple. It amazes me some people are so entitled...

Don't worry ecto, we are talking about it in the italian forum where this kind of discussion began.. And we are composing it saying exactly what you're saying right here..hope that it'll stop as a great mistake, and to go on.. ;)

Sent from my LG-P880 - Beanstalk 4.4.2 - Iodak 9.95 kernel - using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    We should change abit this letter and sent it to the LG dev-update department so they can ask @Demetris @laufer @adam @Ectoplasma @JoinTheRealms @SnXo (and many other talented and good people) for help next time they decide to push or even make any software for any LG phone.I know.this guyment to say official software not custom one so i am just correcting his type mistake.

Послато са LG-P880 уз помоћ Тапатока