Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,635 Members 52,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recovery bootloop after Odin/Kies/Heimdall STOCK flash, only boots to DL mode

Tip us?

Frank Westlake
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtoob View Post
My mediafire shows it was downloaded 11 times, but yet not a single "this works on KitKat" response.
I download these things just to have them handy if something fails.

Quote:
Do you have a nandroid of any 4.4 ROMS saved anywhere? I was going to say try and flash the stock image. After it gets through flash and tries to boot into recovery, go back directly to download mode. Flash philz or twrp, whatever you need to. Try and perform a recovery boot, wipe everything, and nandroid restore of a 4.4 if you have one.
I don't think he got that far into installing 4.4, but I recommend not using anything that was saved after this problem began. If the problem was caused by corruption then the restore will reinstall the corruption.

Quote:
Last resort try the sd-card boot. I don't necessarily think it will work with this particular case as you do not have the dreaded QHUSB_MODE and your phone is still recognized by the computer(s) you have been using.
If the problem is bad USB or other bad hardware causing corruption during transfer then the SD-card boot will get past that, then transferring the rest of the partitions by SD-card will continue to be corruption-free. He could then trade-in the phone.

But you are right -- he should try everything else before the SD-card boot. Because if something else succeeds then maybe the hardware is fine, and if he went immediately to SD-card boot he wouldn't know that.

Frank

bondidave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the advice guys - I'm going to try the backup from my other phone, then the efs fix, then the sd-card boot... I'll report back, wish me luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to bondidave For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

noobtoob
Old
Thanks Meter 437
A nandroid previous failure, or a ROM install from external SD card was all I meant.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to noobtoob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lorettaa
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I got some answers I was looking for here. Glad I read this thread.

bondidave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorettaa View Post
I got some answers I was looking for here. Glad I read this thread.
Glad something good came out of my frustration!

Here's a quick update: I've done everything but the boot from SD card with no luck (and actually thought I had hard(er?) bricked it for a while after trying to copy over a few images from the other phone - turns out it needed to stay with the battery out for at least 20 minutes).

Good news - walked into a TMO brick-and-mortar last night, showed the guy my endless bootloop, and a replacement is on its way to my house for an affordable $20 warranty service fee.

At this point, I'm thinking the internal flash memory is just bad - as a software engineer, I'm ok with chalking this one up to a hardware issue (as much as I was hoping that my first post on XDA would result in some new profound solution to a longstanding issue common to a few folks).

Oh well - new Note 3 on it's way, and a new S5 shortly behind it (didn't hold out much hope on TMO hooking me up, so I ordered an S5)... let the battle of the Samsungs begin!

Thanks again to you guys who helped out - and the whole XDA community in general, I am very grateful.
The Following User Says Thank You to bondidave For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lorettaa
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Finally you made it fix and enjoy the battle between your phones

noobtoob
Old
Thanks Meter 437
Well, sucks it couldn't be fixed, but glad you got a replacement on the way. It pretty much sounded like the partitions were well over written before we attempted anything, but always worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jacqueline robert
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Yes, but I don't have the details handy.

All your attempts suggest to me that you might have some damaged hardware which is causing data corruption during transfer. Open the back and take a good look at the USB port. Tighten the screws and try a transfer while firmly holding the cable in place -- don't move it while transferring.