Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,170 Members 49,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Clean slate? - SOLVED

Tip us?

charliebigpot
Old
(Last edited by charliebigpot; 20th February 2014 at 08:54 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 239
Default [Q] Clean slate? - SOLVED

Ok, this might sound like a noob question but before deleting any files on the internal storage I want to make sure to not delete the wrong ones
I flash roms almost on a weekly basis, try tons of apps which all leave files on my internal storage so now when I look at it I see lots of garbage that I'm pretty sure I can delete - so here is my question:
When flashing a new rom I wipe data and cache and after that can I safely delete every folder on the internal storage? I guess that the only ones that I should keep are:
- clockworkmod
- data
- DCIM
- android

Or is there a way to wipe the phone without losing root? (I just don't want to go through the hassle of rooting again..)

Thanks
... and if this post was useful feel free to press the "thanks" button
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Following User Says Thank You to charliebigpot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charliebigpot
Old
(Last edited by charliebigpot; 20th February 2014 at 09:09 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 239
Seek and you shall find.

Simply go into Mounts and Storage in the Recovery menu and select "format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)" - that does the trick. It deletes everything on the internal memory but leaves the external SD card untouched --> success!

Use with caution though: before this always do a nandroid backup to the external SD and above all don't do all of this if you are not sure about what you are doing
... and if this post was useful feel free to press the "thanks" button
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Following User Says Thank You to charliebigpot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

afterglow
Old
Thanks Meter 6
i usually

i) wipe data/factory reset
ii) wipe dalvik cache
iii) format /system

And always after this there are so many unused and uneccesary directories & files left in my internal sd card.
So you propose that after also runningformat /data and /data/media (/sdcard) everything in internal sdcard is deleted?

the thing is that most probably i have the ROM file and gapps etc in internal sdcard in order to flash the phone.if i run this and if i understood correctly that it deletes everything, then it will also delete those ROM files right?

so please clarify this if you can or propose the best way i guess other aditional steps (that im missing out) in order to have the cleanest possible phone.