No registration required

So...my Droid Maxx eats 10% of battery in just 3 hours,,,

OP zllovesuki

9th April 2014, 07:23 AM   |  #21  
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 392

951 posts
More
Just used my Mini today for like 4.25 hours with 1.5 hours of screen on time + WIGLE Wi-Fi logging + GPS/location services and drained it down to 45% before I got back home, not as good as I'd like but whatever, it works so that's what counts I guess. Lucky I carry a USB cable and charger everywhere I go (love cargo shorts...) and also have a 4 AA battery portable charger ready to go if needed.

Ain't nothing like the MAXX I had, would have barely lost 10-15% in the same amount of time doing the same stuff I suppose, I kinda miss that phone now.
11th April 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Its the location services. You can either turn google now off, or turn off location services.

I've tested this quite a few times over the last 2-3 weeks. I think it got worse with some update (google search? motorola contextual services?) about a month ago and starting eating my battery.

My phone w/ location services on ~30% battery at the end of the day.
My phone w/ location services off ~60% battery at end of day.
11th April 2014, 06:38 PM   |  #23  
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 392

951 posts
More
I did a clean wipe of my Mini, first thing I did was go into the applications and disable basically everything I have zero use for which was quite a lot - would obviously prefer to be rooted and freeze stuff with Titanium Backup but that's not likely at this point.

Battery life seems to be getting worse since I got this Mini, not better, not really sure what's causing it either. Oh well, guess I'm stuck with it till someone grabs it from the craigslist ad (if they ever do).
12th April 2014, 08:28 PM   |  #24  
Flag Saint Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 19

209 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you got your device near the time they were released its important to keep in mind that you are now also being affected by a decrease in the batteries available capacity.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
12th April 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 326

1,340 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder119

Its the location services. You can either turn google now off, or turn off location services.

I've tested this quite a few times over the last 2-3 weeks. I think it got worse with some update (google search? motorola contextual services?) about a month ago and starting eating my battery.

My phone w/ location services on ~30% battery at the end of the day.
My phone w/ location services off ~60% battery at end of day.

I've tried turning off Google Now location reporting and location history and noticed little to no change in battery life. I may just turn it back on.

I'm not going to turn off location services altogether - I bought a smartphone to have features like these, for weather updates, maps and navigation, etc.
12th April 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #26  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 93

1,177 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecsironman

My ultra was doing the same thing. I back up my phone and factory reset it. For the first couple days I was killing the battery quickly from setting up my phone again and with in a week or so my battery life seemed to come back as it was in 4.2.

This is great advice. I usually forget to mention this when recommending a FDR. It really does take a few days to break in.

And another thing too. I've also tried using the app lteoffon to force 3G only. This made no noticeable difference. I even tried using another app (condi) to disable mobile data when connected to wifi (like what smart actions could do) and again no difference. It just caused a headache when sending or receiving mms.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
13th April 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 326

1,340 posts
One thing that kills my battery, actually, is Google Play Music. I don't use it much, but occasionally listen to music while driving. I have no music stored on the phone, but steam from my synced library online. If I play music and then forget to switch to another media app, play music will decide to "cache" music for me in the background. Apparently I did this yesterday. I hadn't used my phone for an hour this morning after taking it off power and when I first powered on the display and the battery was down to 89%. That's hardly ever happened; the only times it has it was because of play music (maybe 3 times in the past) and once it was constant calendar sync when the calendar data was corrupt. Checking battery stats, sure enough - Play Music had used 67% of the battery (and I was not listening to music.)

I love/hate this app. I may switch to amazon just to see if that app treats battery any better.
13th April 2014, 03:12 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 11

134 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend33

This is great advice. I usually forget to mention this when recommending a FDR. It really does take a few days to break in.

And another thing too. I've also tried using the app lteoffon to force 3G only. This made no noticeable difference. I even tried using another app (condi) to disable mobile data when connected to wifi (like what smart actions could do) and again no difference. It just caused a headache when sending or receiving mms.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

Where I live I get excellent 4g signal. I can usually go all day from 10am to 12 am on a single charge. Though when I get down to 10% or 9% it jumps to 4% and goes another hour before it dies. Can't do warranty if you know what I mean.

19th April 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 9

47 posts
My Maxx was doing well for a long time, then over the last few days I started seeing huge battery draw. System Panel and Wakelock Detector seemed to agree that the big hogs were email and audio. I was hitting email relatively hard recently but certainly not 43% of on-battery time. I don't use google or amazon music, nor watch movies other than an occasional short youtube video and whatever stupid things autoplay on CNN.

So I decided to wipe cache to see if that makes a difference (dev edition, unlocked and rooted).

Lesson Learned: Do not ever, EVER go near TWRP while simultaneously playing on a 3DS. I'm sure most of the people on this forum don't need to be told that.

Anyway, my phone seems to be behaving well again after a full factory wipe ... :-/

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread