Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,666 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any ideas on how to take over the screen

Tip us?

thefutureblues
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Any ideas on how to take over the screen

Hello everyone!

I'm researching a little bit for a project at my university. I've got loads of books to educate myself, but instead of just going through them from the very beginning I would like to better orient myself. Any insights you might have would be very appreciated!

Basically I'm thinking about a way to make the screen respond to what's happening to the phone, independently of the app running in the foreground at any given moment. For example
  • the phone drops under the table where it's dark and the phone's screen begins flashing to make it easy to find,
  • you tap the side of the phone, or swirl it around playing a game, and the screen tints itself red giving an impression of taking in some damage

Obviously this would have to be an app connected for example to the accelerometer, able to modify or overlay what's currently being displayed. Is that stuff even possible?

I'm not expecting a solution here Just some brainstorming ideas that would send me in the right direction. Names of classes, sections of documentation, stuff like that. Thank you!

EmptinessFiller
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Do you look for ideas on how to overlay the screen? That's really easy. Look for WindowManager and System_Alert_Window.
But I don't know how you could code the other thing. For example a few devices have a light sensor which you can use - but for more complex actions this will be difficult.

thefutureblues
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you EmptinessFiller Im not really looking to launch popups.
Im looking for a way to tap into the software or hadrware renderer and for example adjust brightness or tint the entire screen. Something my own, buggy CAT B15 does once in a while when I turn hardware accelleration on (it paints every interface item in a funny colour).

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13558

DONATE TO ME
This would pertain more towards modifying the OS itself and creating a customized version of Android
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

Goldie
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 16352

DONATE TO ME
Read this article a while ago whilst looking for stuff on surfaceflinger...might be of use to you....

http://jsharkey.org/blog/2010/07/01/...un-and-profit/

Sent from my AllianceROM'd S5
If you think its worth it......you could buy me a beer

thefutureblues
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Excellent Goldie, thank you very much. Thats exactly the type of pointer that i needed!