Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 46,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does internal storage survive rom flash?

Tip us?

animez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 90
Default [Q] Does internal storage survive rom flash?

My phone before this one was the RAZR Maxx HD and one of the nice things about it was that you could flash a rom and the internal storage at storage/emulated/0 would not be cleared. Does the M8 act the same way or do you need to backup stuff on the internal SD? May be a noob question, but the RAZR was the first android I had that treated the internal memory like a true SD card.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.
George Carlin

sfreemanoh
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez View Post
My phone before this one was the RAZR Maxx HD and one of the nice things about it was that you could flash a rom and the internal storage at storage/emulated/0 would not be cleared. Does the M8 act the same way or do you need to backup stuff on the internal SD? May be a noob question, but the RAZR was the first android I had that treated the internal memory like a true SD card.

Yes, unless if you intentionally or accidentally wipe storage.

nicholi2789
Old
Thanks Meter 159

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez View Post

Yes, when you do a factory reset in TWRP it does NOT wipe internal storage. If you read the TWRP script while it's wiping it says "wiping data without wiping data/media". Data/media is where your emulated internal storage is stored. The only way you will wipe your internal storage is if you deliberately check the internal storage box in the TWRP wipe menu.
Verizon HTC One (M8)>S-OFF >TWRPv2.7.0.2>ViperOne-v1.8.0>64gb ext SD
NEXUS 7 (2012)>MultiRom21b>CM11>SlimKat

"For what have you really accomplished when you have bested a fool?"
"It is a huge mistake to theorize before one has data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

Verizon Galaxy S4 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy S3 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy NEXUS (SOLD)