[Q] How can I protect root on 4.4 with locked bootloader?

OP lesdense

11th April 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

166 posts
I bought a Droid Maxx on eBay. It came rooted, running 4.4, with a locked bootloader. I got the phone a day or so too late to get in on the chance to buy a bootloader unlock code.

So, how can I protect root? I'm worried about upgrades or anything else Verizon might push down that'd overwrite root. I don't know how the phone was rooted (I assume it was rooted on 4.2.2 and then updated to 4.4 but don't know for sure). I have the paid version of Titanium Backup so if there's something I need to freeze or uninstall I'll do that. If there's a setting I can change to make sure that my phone doesn't accept an update that loses root I'll do that. I know that there's no method to re-root a Droid Maxx on 4.4 with a locked bootloader so I want to take whatever precautions I can to prevent losing root. I've read just about everything on the Motorola Droid Ultra forum and I have not found an answer to this question.
11th April 2014, 02:00 AM   |  #2  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 176

529 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesdense

I bought a Droid Maxx on eBay. It came rooted, running 4.4, with a locked bootloader. I got the phone a day or so too late to get in on the chance to buy a bootloader unlock code.

So, how can I protect root? I'm worried about upgrades or anything else Verizon might push down that'd overwrite root. I don't know how the phone was rooted (I assume it was rooted on 4.2.2 and then updated to 4.4 but don't know for sure). I have the paid version of Titanium Backup so if there's something I need to freeze or uninstall I'll do that. If there's a setting I can change to make sure that my phone doesn't accept an update that loses root I'll do that. I know that there's no method to re-root a Droid Maxx on 4.4 with a locked bootloader so I want to take whatever precautions I can to prevent losing root. I've read just about everything on the Motorola Droid Ultra forum and I have not found an answer to this question.

Use Titanium to freeze the app MotorolaOTA and you'll be good to go

Sent From Droid Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to Caseyk621 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #3  
Flag Sivakasi
Thanks Meter: 25

140 posts
More
Yes, freezing the MotorolaOTA is the way to go. You may never get updates in future (even bug fix updates). But hey, you got root in 4.4, which is good, especially when unlocking BL is impossible.

If you really want to get any update in later stage via OTA, then unfreeze the same app and unroot your phone. Then accept the OTA, but you will loose root and may never gain again.
19th April 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

166 posts
I found and froze MotorolaOTA using Titanium Backup, as suggested. Thank you. Now, can I install TWRP? I've read a fair amount about TWRP on this forum but I'm not confident that I'm separating what can be done with TWRP if you have an UNlocked bootloader and what (if anything) can be done with TWRP if you have a locked bootloader (as I do). All I really want to be able to do is to reboot to Recovery in order to either make a backup of my ROM or to wipe cache and Dalvik cache, as that sometimes seems to smooth out operations if an app installation doesn't go well. I would use CWM for that if necessary but on other devices TWRP is my preference. So -- if I DO have root but I do NOT have an unlocked bootloader, can I install TWRP to reliably perform those functions?
19th April 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #5  
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 176

529 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesdense

I found and froze MotorolaOTA using Titanium Backup, as suggested. Thank you. Now, can I install TWRP? I've read a fair amount about TWRP on this forum but I'm not confident that I'm separating what can be done with TWRP if you have an UNlocked bootloader and what (if anything) can be done with TWRP if you have a locked bootloader (as I do). All I really want to be able to do is to reboot to Recovery in order to either make a backup of my ROM or to wipe cache and Dalvik cache, as that sometimes seems to smooth out operations if an app installation doesn't go well. I would use CWM for that if necessary but on other devices TWRP is my preference. So -- if I DO have root but I do NOT have an unlocked bootloader, can I install TWRP to reliably perform those functions?

If your bootloader is locked you'll need to use safestrap recovery. Basically has same functionality as TWRP as far as back ups and wiping. Just do some reading up on it. Not sure how current the attached thread is and I haven't used safestrap for this device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2503897

[RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery [MAXX / ULTRA]

Sent From Droid Ultra
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread