Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 40,111 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wrist flick to turn on

Tip us?

eurorauser
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] Wrist flick to turn on

Hi, I'm about to go for a Neo (don't need a camera), but the reason i returned my original gear was the "turn your wrist to turn the screen on" motin was either

- Too unreliable - meaning i'd be twisting my wrist like a fool just to see the time
- Annoying when i was playing the piano (screen went on/off like crazy)

I'm wondering if this is improved at all? Also, is it possible to actually turn it off completely?

Shame this watch doesn't have an always-on clock....

A

imaaronflux
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurorauser View Post
Hi, I'm about to go for a Neo (don't need a camera), but the reason i returned my original gear was the "turn your wrist to turn the screen on" motin was either

- Too unreliable - meaning i'd be twisting my wrist like a fool just to see the time

I'm wondering if this is improved at all? Also, is it possible to actually turn it off completely?

Shame this watch doesn't have an always-on clock....

A
hi sir, you could actually go to setting, display, then wake up gesture and turn it off. hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to imaaronflux For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Helga Pataki
Old
(Last edited by Helga Pataki; 19th April 2014 at 02:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
this is my first gear I don't know how good/bad the first one was
as far as I can tell: works really great
had no problems so far

Quote:
that will never change
you move your arm --> motion sensor activates the screen
what you can do: lower the screen timeout to 10sec or deactivate the motion completely

settings -> display -> wake-up gesture -> off

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/j7Z8mSv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3QUdMSD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/orbiuQ6.jpg
(sorry for the code tag, I am not allowed to post links)

rEVOLVE
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Mine is very flaky. Funny thing is I was missing the way my Pebble worked 95% of the time and meant to ask about this until I ran across this thread. With this, wrist flick is maybe 50%, OR I have to do an exaggerated arm raise motion - I can't just look down and flick my wrist like I would on my Pebble to see anything. Also when it does work, it's slow - there's like a half second where I'm waiting in suspense for the display to wake. Maybe you people that came from the older Gears are used to that and it's ok for you, but with my Pebble I was never waiting - maybe it's due to the fact that Pebble is only turning on the backlight from the sensor, as the display is on all the time.

Which brings me to my biggest frustration. I had hoped that somehow an AMOLED screen could be set up to be always on with just the basic info while still saving battery (like active notifications on the Moto devices). I hope that somehow there's a way to work around this and have a simple info display that could be always on (no colors/animations, just white text on the black background to save power). If i needed to charge every night, that's fine. I'd rather have that than look like/feel like an idiot shaking my wrist around and still not getting it to wake up. That's one of the reasons I returned the Sony smartwatch last year.

markbc01
Old
Thanks Meter 222
I just received my NEO yesterday.

The motion sensor *is* rather sensitive and ANY vertical arm motion with even the slightest twisting kicks the phone screen on. At first it's interesting . . . after a while it's a bit annoying.

I would like to have a self-defined motion, or perhaps a bit more control over exactly when it turns on.

At least it would be better if we could reduce the screen time to 3 or 5 seconds that would lessen the distraction.

I turned the motion sensor off and that's actually pretty good -just got a text message and it displayed correctyl, and for now a quick press to see the time is not bad.