Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How to keep ATT/HTC apps from re-installing after installing GPe custom ROM

OP cmhinnen

17th April 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I just unlocked and rooted my device to install a Google Play Edition ROM. The ROM installed fine and it is great, but after the ROM was installed and booting the phone, the Google Play Store re-installs all of the HTC/ATT applications when re-installing all the applications I had installed on the phone. Is there a way to prevent this? This was the main reason I went to a GPe ROM so I wouldn't have all the bloatware from ATT/HTC. Is this possible or do I have to just go through and uninstall them all? I did a factory reset in TWRP before installing the ROM.
17th April 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 56

424 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhinnen

I just unlocked and rooted my device to install a Google Play Edition ROM. The ROM installed fine and it is great, but after the ROM was installed and booting the phone, the Google Play Store re-installs all of the HTC/ATT applications when re-installing all the applications I had installed on the phone. Is there a way to prevent this? This was the main reason I went to a GPe ROM so I wouldn't have all the bloatware from ATT/HTC. Is this possible or do I have to just go through and uninstall them all? I did a factory reset in TWRP before installing the ROM.

Did you use the "restore account" function when you were setting up your phone? Or whatever the restore function is. Perhaps Un-check that box, so you can decide in the play store which to install.
19th April 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #3  
Flag Phila
Thanks Meter: 226

1,273 posts
More
Yeah, if you like changing roms all the time it's annoying, but uncheck the back/restore apps and settings option when you sign into your Google account
19th April 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #4  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 32

230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19

Yeah, if you like changing roms all the time it's annoying, but uncheck the back/restore apps and settings option when you sign into your Google account

Whenever you switch from a GPe ROM to a stock ROM it'll happen if you back up your apps and restore upon setup. I find it's easier to allow the google restore to take place; go into your accounts apps in the Play Store and click the x on each app you don't want backed up anymore (it'll ask if you want to remove it from your account, say yes). The next time you restore a GPe ROM (as an update, or a clean install for whatever reason) you won't get the extra apps installed by default. The next time you switch to a stock ROM, they won't autodownload, but you'll have to remove them from your account after setting up the stock ROM.

If you use a stock ROM that doesn't have the bloatware, this isn't even an issue.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread