Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 37,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A PSA about using your phone in water

Tip us?

dpwhitty11
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 218

DONATE TO ME
Default A PSA about using your phone in water

A couple things to point out to everyone before they start to use their phone in the shower, in the pool, in the rain, etc.

When your phone encounters a whole lot of water, or just a little bit in the right places, the following can occur:
1) loudspeaker/earspeaker volume gets cut drastically, but will get loud once again around 30 minutes later.
2) people say they can't hear you well or sound muffled over the phone, just blow into the microphone holes.
3) headphone connection thing popping up, just blow into the headphone jack.
4) water can still breach the inside of the back cover, but will never breach the rubber seal. Always make sure to dry off excess water.

There may be more on this list, but this is all that I have encountered or know can happen. Feel free to post other things you have experienced and I can add them to the list for people to easily see. We don't want people getting their phones wet and thinking it broke just because a speaker cut its volume to protect itself.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sprint Galaxy S5 SM-G900P
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpwhitty11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Joe0113
Old
Thanks Meter 1,650

DONATE TO ME
Great post please keep it updated OP if you find out more info.
Sprint Galaxy S3 Retired
Sprint Galaxy S4 Retired

Sprint Galaxy S5
ROM: MOAR v2
Kernel: Stock NE5 Kernel with some tweaks
Theme: Velur (Nova icon pack)
Modem: NE5
Apps I NEED: TiBu, Google Now, Beautiful Widgets, Greenify (Donate), Xposed, 8sms, NiLS/NiLS FP

Awesome Collection of Android Apps from XDA Developers!
Collection of Apps for Android Wear (Alphabetized and Categorized)!
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe0113 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evilbeef54
Old
Thanks Meter 74
I can confirm all of that, just a tiny drop off water blocks the speaker but the volume comes right back, the headphone jack issue is a BIG ONE though, that took hours to fix, blowing in the jack and hairdryer did nothing, the big part where this is an issue is that When it thinks that you plugged in headphones it starts playing the mp3 player which killed the battery, I paused the mp3 player but a few seconds later it disconnected the headphones the reconnected them, also I don't know what would happen if you got a phone call
Sprint Rooted Mogul Evo Evo3d GS3 GS4 GS5 (Sorry Sprint 13 years is enough)
VERIZON GS5

IF SOMEONE'S POST HELPS YOU PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON

Hanson68
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I never use the jack, so I wouldn't mind sticking a rubber stopper in there to keep it waterproof. That's the kind of thing I wish Samsung would have bundled with the phone.