Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,845 Members 50,554 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S-off versus SU

Tip us?

Fizou
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] S-off versus SU

Hi

I have a new HTC one M8 (Bell Canada carrier), rooted with HTCDev, I also have SuperUser status and I installed TWRP recovery.
The question is: should I bother to get S-Off?
Another question, unrelated to S-Off vs SU:

As I did not flash a new Rom, I beleive that I still could do the OTA sys updates when they become available,
would doing an OTA system update remove my SU privileges and re-lock the bootloader?

Thanks,
Fizou, in Toronto

raghav kapur
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizou View Post
Hi

I have a new HTC one M8 (Bell Canada carrier), rooted with HTCDev, I also have SuperUser status and I installed TWRP recovery.
The question is: should I bother to get S-Off?
Another question, unrelated to S-Off vs SU:

As I did not flash a new Rom, I beleive that I still could do the OTA sys updates when they become available,
would doing an OTA system update remove my SU privileges and re-lock the bootloader?

Thanks,
Fizou, in Toronto
1) This is the M7 forum, not M8. In the future, pls post there. There's a forum specifically for the M8
2) S-OFF nd SU are TWO ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT THINGS ALTOGETHER. Pls research more

Coming to your question, you cannot get OTA updates if you have a custom recovery, which im sure you would be having. If you want OTA updates, you need to flash stock recovery. And, OTA updates wont affect ur root privilege(SU) or the bootloader status