No registration required

[Q] S-off versus SU

OP Fizou

19th April 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

24 posts
Hi

I have a new HTC one M8 (Bell Canada carrier), rooted with HTCDev, I also have SuperUser status and I installed TWRP recovery.
The question is: should I bother to get S-Off?
Another question, unrelated to S-Off vs SU:

As I did not flash a new Rom, I beleive that I still could do the OTA sys updates when they become available,
would doing an OTA system update remove my SU privileges and re-lock the bootloader?

Thanks,
Fizou, in Toronto
19th April 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #2  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 105

458 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizou

Hi

I have a new HTC one M8 (Bell Canada carrier), rooted with HTCDev, I also have SuperUser status and I installed TWRP recovery.
The question is: should I bother to get S-Off?
Another question, unrelated to S-Off vs SU:

As I did not flash a new Rom, I beleive that I still could do the OTA sys updates when they become available,
would doing an OTA system update remove my SU privileges and re-lock the bootloader?

Thanks,
Fizou, in Toronto

1) This is the M7 forum, not M8. In the future, pls post there. There's a forum specifically for the M8
2) S-OFF nd SU are TWO ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT THINGS ALTOGETHER. Pls research more

Coming to your question, you cannot get OTA updates if you have a custom recovery, which im sure you would be having. If you want OTA updates, you need to flash stock recovery. And, OTA updates wont affect ur root privilege(SU) or the bootloader status
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread