Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,344 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Porting ROM

Tip us?

deon7388
Old
(Last edited by deon7388; 17th April 2014 at 11:38 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Porting ROM

Hi guys, I've read through other threads but I believe my case is very different and felt I should ask. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 Wifi and I really want to put Kit Kat (4.4.2) on the device but after days of searching, it seems like there has not been a roll out for it yet, even for just the Wifi version. So (please tell me if I'm wrong), I thought maybe I could take a Kit Kat ROM (even stock) from another device such as the Galaxy Note 10.1 and port it to this device. I'm a developer but not for Android. Is this possible?

Or maybe can you point me to some beta version of Kit Kat for this device? Is there any way to get it?

creep138
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I'm not a dev, but porting cm I think is not possible, I wanna say it has to be built from source.

And flashing a ROM for a different device will only leave you with a brick

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Brian D
Old
Thanks Meter 29
You can try anything you want. Who knows, you might even be the creator of a new operating system. But then again, you might eventually take your brick to the recycle center. One will not know until one tries.

However, why not just wait for Kit Kat and let the "professional" developers at Samsung do the work for the P5210. I am sure it is not that far behind the others.

pengpengback
Old
Thanks Meter 11
galaxy tab 3 10.1 should get kk4.4.2 soon, I think.
just be patient.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Tags
kit kat, porting android