News: According to PlayOn site, Chromecast support coming soon

OP jsdecker10

12th April 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Lightbulb
Actually, a simple google search for PlayOn.tv eula returns the EULA page for PlayOn.

And the EULA is included in the MediaMall install folder.

I tend to think conspiracy is where you look for it. I purchased a lifetime license back in 2009 for 19.99 (before there was a PlayOn Premium) and it still works exactly as advertised.

I purchased a PlayOn Premium license in 2010. I chose not to upgrade by Basic license as I figured I would continue to use it on a 2nd PC (which I do). Each time an update is released with bug fixes, both installations are updated.

I have never found anything deceptive about their marketing at all. Sure, I would have liked to have gotten HD for free, but I also understand that development costs money. The HD add-on is completely optional. I chose to add HD to my PlayLater license so I could record in HD but haven't added HD for PlayOn yet. The add-on for PlayLater only cost me 3.99. I think the add-on model is the fairest from a consumer perspective. If I had a slow PC, and was a new customer I wouldn't want to pay for a feature that I can't use.

That all said, since I purchased my lifetime Premium license in 2010, dozens of new channels have been added along with some very cool features that haven't cost me a thing. Things like Roku and Mobile support, PlayTo and Record To, the PlayOn Browser extension (PlayMark and PlayCast), not to mention the huge improvements made to MyMedia (which is still completely free, by the way).

I did do some searching around and found this from when I first purchased my Basic license (this is from 2009):

"What you get for buying a License

Your license will be valid forever for all patches and bug fixes for the current major version of PlayOn. All functionality and feature enhancements to PlayOn will be free for existing licensed installations, unless a new major version is released, at which point a new license may be required to access newer functionality."

I get why some might be upset...Heck, I'd always rather get something free vs. paying for it...but deceptive and greedy? I don't think so.
12th April 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 251

1,417 posts
More
There were devious marketing tactics..

This really doesn't matter. PlayOn has so many other shortcomings that it doesn't make the energy to type worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
13th April 2014, 06:17 AM   |  #13  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 207

710 posts
I gave up on PlayOn ages ago. I supported PlayOn from very early on. I bought what I was informed was a one time fee. Well that one time fee turned into a yearly fee. And then it turned into "hey buy this extra stuff for even more". I foolishly paid for 3 years of that crap and all I really wanted to do at the time was stream media from my pc to my xbox 360. Wish I had been told or heard about Plex back then. One time fee and it's worked flawlessly the entire time I've used it. Would never give a damn dime to PlayOn ever again.

Edit: Just realized after reading other posts that I'm not the only one who was disgusted with the deceptive fees of PlayOn.

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Jersey846; 13th April 2014 at 06:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey846 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2014, 03:00 PM   |  #14  

1,417 posts
More
I spoke at length with an Skip, an employee at MediaMall.. Three general consensus from everyone there "they've done no wrong" and for some reason, the users believe it.

However, I can't value anyone's opinion that can stand commercials at twice the volume of the actual show. They are more for content than they are quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to abuttino For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 313

1,831 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbenw@y72

Your license will be valid forever for all patches and bug fixes for the current major version of PlayOn. All functionality and feature enhancements to PlayOn will be free for existing licensed installations, unless a new major version is released, at which point a new license may be required to access newer functionality.

That basically says if you bought a license for the current Version 3.x.xx.xxxx the second V4.x.xx.xxxx comes out your LIFETIME license for PlayOn expires even if you live to see Version 5!

So it is deceptive to say your buying a LIFETIME LICENSE when really all your doing is buying a V3 license and as soon as they decide to change the Version number your License is no longer good!
Apparently it isn't YOUR LIFETIME they are talking about just the lifetime of their current Version which for everyone else is merely a License not a LIFETIME License!
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #16  

1,417 posts
More
It's like any software version numbering. Once a new update comes out, you are expected to pay.

They play on (no pun intended) words using the "Lifetime" and nobody seems to give a rats ass.

This is the same game played by politicians. Except, politicians play with our money and freedoms.

I'd bet that 70% of their customer base are Low-info voters.

To keep a company alive that practices this kind of moral bankruptcy is just retarded.

So goes the rest of people that don't seem to have any morals these days..

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk
Last edited by abuttino; 19th April 2014 at 06:40 PM.
19th April 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

That basically says if you bought a license for the current Version 3.x.xx.xxxx the second V4.x.xx.xxxx comes out your LIFETIME license for PlayOn expires even if you live to see Version 5!

So it is deceptive to say your buying a LIFETIME LICENSE when really all your doing is buying a V3 license and as soon as they decide to change the Version number your License is no longer good!
Apparently it isn't YOUR LIFETIME they are talking about just the lifetime of their current Version which for everyone else is merely a License not a LIFETIME License!

So my opinion isn't valid because I don't agree?

You write that "as soon as they decide to change the Version number your License is no longer good!", but that is simply not true. The Basic license I purchased back in 2009 still works exactly as it did when I purchased. No features or channels were removed and I still receive updates with bug fixes. I had an opportunity to upgrade my Basic license, but chose to keep it and use on another PC.

And since I purchased my PlayOn Premium license, many new features and channels have been added that have not cost me anything.

I just don't see any bad intent here.
19th April 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #18  

1,417 posts
More
Your opinion matters less only because you try and fight a losing battle.

The fact of the matter, it is not really lifetime if you are going to make people pay on the release of a new version.

Arguing semantics over morals is just another losing battle.

19th April 2014, 08:53 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 313

1,831 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbenw@y72

So my opinion isn't valid because I don't agree?

You write that "as soon as they decide to change the Version number your License is no longer good!", but that is simply not true. The Basic license I purchased back in 2009 still works exactly as it did when I purchased. No features or channels were removed and I still receive updates with bug fixes. I had an opportunity to upgrade my Basic license, but chose to keep it and use on another PC.

And since I purchased my PlayOn Premium license, many new features and channels have been added that have not cost me anything.

I just don't see any bad intent here.

Your opinion isn't valid because LIFETIME should mean it NEVER EXPIRES for as LONG AS YOU LIVE!
The fact your license still works 6 years later is more a testament to their lack of development and adding enough features in ALL THAT TIME to require a new version number than it does their honesty in Marketing....

According to your definition EVERYTHING is a LIFETIME License...Including that license to run Windows 3.1 20 years after it was released!

It is dishonest marketing merely for the fact that they can make a version 4 tomorrow and you can't use it without paying for another LIFETIME!

Thats a License not a LIFETIME license...

I have a LIFETIME membership to Plex Pass....And guess what it will still work when Version 1000 comes out as it does for Version 0.9!

It will be valid for MY lifetime and truth is it will be valid long after I'm dead.

But oncePlayOn decide to change the version number to #4 your license is dead for the purposes of running their latest product!
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #20  

1,417 posts
More
Even more deceptive; PlayOn had special sale right before they released the new version.

I can't imagine anything more deceptive than that. A final push to get everyone on lifetime to give the devs a bonus for their hard work on the next version.

That's just downright mean.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app, chromecast, playon
Previous Thread Next Thread