OP samsat

20th April 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag ex Johannesburg now SoCal
Thanks Meter: 12

414 posts
More
I went to AT&T to try out the S5.
Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

How are the rest of yo owners finding the handling of this flap?
I will be using a robust case for mine so wireless charging is out for me.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.
20th April 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #2  
Flag Orange County, NY
Thanks Meter: 76

198 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsat

Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.

That's the only thing that I find annoying about the S5. I understand it needs to be covered for water/dust resistance, but it's still incredibly annoying. I have short nails (stupid nail-biting habit) so trying to open it is always a chore. I've actually resorted to using a small thumb-tac (lol) to open it and it works perfectly every time.

I'll definitely be looking at wireless charging options once they're readily available. I rarely use a case on my S5, just because I like how it feels in the hand without one, so the different back shouldn't be an issue.
20th April 2014, 02:40 AM   |  #3  
Flag SD, USA
Thanks Meter: 90

482 posts
More
I like knowing that dirt, dust and curious little kid fingers won't be able to affect the port. I have an otterbox that has a decent opening to allow for charging, been using it all day and its around 55% batt, so I'll be okay with the cover.
20th April 2014, 02:44 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 27

113 posts
I have the spigen tough armor case and I can charge the phone with no problem. It's a minor inconvenience but it's worth having the peace of mind against getting water damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to arse87zx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2014, 03:11 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 67

473 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsat

I have a case and I can't open the flap without removing the case. I hate it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
20th April 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #6  
Flag Buffalo, NY
Thanks Meter: 17

199 posts
More
....I pulled that little thing out. I know its not water proof anymore, but ehh i wasn't gonna test it anyways.
20th April 2014, 05:31 AM   |  #7  
Flag Akron, OH
Thanks Meter: 24

169 posts
More
I actually like the idea of covering the port, it's just very poorly executed on this phone. I really liked the sliding 'door' on the Captivate. But it's something that I'll learn to get used to.
The Following User Says Thank You to brivette007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2014, 06:46 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 42

333 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwolf16

....I pulled that little thing out. I know its not water proof anymore, but ehh i wasn't gonna test it anyways.

You probably made the value of your phone drop so much

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to LeKtRiCzzz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2014, 08:12 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 24

84 posts
You guys are lazy. It takes, what, half a second to open? Use your index fingernail not your thumbnail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to amsguitarist For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread