Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,789 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Charging socket flap

Tip us?

samsat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Charging socket flap

I went to AT&T to try out the S5.
Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

How are the rest of yo owners finding the handling of this flap?
I will be using a robust case for mine so wireless charging is out for me.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.
AT&T LG G3 850 Stock

VIVID ICS_35..26.502.56

Touch Pro 2
Hardspl
Energy.RHODIUM.29022.Sense2.5.July 4th
Radio 4.49.25.94

HTC TyTN II
PDACorner Ultimate-X.V4 Lite
Radio: 1.71.19.09
SPL: Dave Shaw HardSPL 3.34
Previous
PDA Corner V17 Lite SPL 3.29 Hard2
Radio 1.65.24.36
Previous ROMS
Dutty WWE build 19716 (April) with Radio 1.79.09.01 and Hard-Spl 3.28
Dutty Touch V6.1 WWE
Radio 1.64.08.21
Dual Touch V6 WWE 19199

karmuh
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsat View Post
Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.
That's the only thing that I find annoying about the S5. I understand it needs to be covered for water/dust resistance, but it's still incredibly annoying. I have short nails (stupid nail-biting habit) so trying to open it is always a chore. I've actually resorted to using a small thumb-tac (lol) to open it and it works perfectly every time.

I'll definitely be looking at wireless charging options once they're readily available. I rarely use a case on my S5, just because I like how it feels in the hand without one, so the different back shouldn't be an issue.
Retired Devices:
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5S (Damaged)
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5

Current Devices:
15" MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) -- OS X 10.9.3
[White] 16GB AT&T Galaxy S5 -- KitKat 4.4.2 --
Rooted via Towelroot

smknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I like knowing that dirt, dust and curious little kid fingers won't be able to affect the port. I have an otterbox that has a decent opening to allow for charging, been using it all day and its around 55% batt, so I'll be okay with the cover.
Palm FrankenPre+ Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S II i777 AT&T
Samsung Galaxy S 4 i337 AT&T
Samsung Galaxy S 5 G900A AT&T
HTC One m8 AT&T

arse87zx
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I have the spigen tough armor case and I can charge the phone with no problem. It's a minor inconvenience but it's worth having the peace of mind against getting water damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to arse87zx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bsmith0731
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsat View Post

I have a case and I can't open the flap without removing the case. I hate it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

Dwolf16
Old
Thanks Meter 17
....I pulled that little thing out. I know its not water proof anymore, but ehh i wasn't gonna test it anyways.

brivette007
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I actually like the idea of covering the port, it's just very poorly executed on this phone. I really liked the sliding 'door' on the Captivate. But it's something that I'll learn to get used to.
My devices:

Bigger and better each year

AT&T Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) Rooted!
Previous: AT&T Galaxy S2 (SGH-I777) running SHOstock3 v4.0
The Following User Says Thank You to brivette007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cloudraker
Old
Thanks Meter 50
I keep a spudger tool on my desk from an iphone repair kit...works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to cloudraker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LeKtRiCzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwolf16 View Post
....I pulled that little thing out. I know its not water proof anymore, but ehh i wasn't gonna test it anyways.
You probably made the value of your phone drop so much

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to LeKtRiCzzz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amsguitarist
Old
Thanks Meter 24
You guys are lazy. It takes, what, half a second to open? Use your index fingernail not your thumbnail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to amsguitarist For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]