Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 51,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ATT Note3 stays awake while on 4g only

Tip us?

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] ATT Note3 stays awake while on 4g only

Basically as the title says, my note3 is constantly waking up while on 4g. it doesnt stay in a deep sleep. over the last few days i have done some experimenting erasing apps and turning them off and force stopping. i am pretty sure it is the android system itself not a app i have. i barely have any apps installed. i use maildroid, its setup to push and checks only every 6 hours. i use fleksy for a keyboard. and hoverchat for texting. using nova for a launcher, swipe up for swiping up. pretty simple and clean i keep all of the eye tracking nfc stuff like that off just using it as a simple powerful phone to browse the internet and text.

background. i had the kitkat leak that was posted here in jan i loved it becides everything would stop responding constantly. but the battery life was amazing. so i backtracked went to the 4.3 release then did the official update with the instructions on these boards. immediatly i noticed the battery life was less and the phone wasnt staying alseep so i started the troubleshooting. it has been over a week since the update too i know sometimes new roms take a few days to stablize. but it hasnt.

so what would cause a phone to be constantly being woken up while on 4g only? the pics i included show it. the first about half of the 4 hr 38 minute one part of data i am on 4g only. the long bar of being awake at the start and end of the 4g time is me playing music. the only screenshot the first 1/3 is on 4g only. no music only texting and internet didnt use it much today.

thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-16-17-41-23.png
Views:	30
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2690454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-15-11-03-22.png
Views:	30
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2690455  

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1385

DONATE TO ME
Grab wakelock detector or Better Battery Stats and let it run for a few hours, then post the log if using BBS - and check the wakelocks, it's possible your signal is fluctuating too much and causing the device to constantly seek. But a wake lock monitor will pretty much tell you exactly what it is.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

// HTC One (M8) // GPE Stock // Stock GPE//

// Nexus 7 (flo) // Android L // Stock//

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal)/LG G3 (Titan Grey)

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Grab wakelock detector or Better Battery Stats and let it run for a few hours, then post the log if using BBS - and check the wakelocks, it's possible your signal is fluctuating too much and causing the device to constantly seek. But a wake lock monitor will pretty much tell you exactly what it is.
I was under the impression that wakening detection doesn't work with kit kat unless rooted? I use gsam battery app sometimes and it is basically the kernal it seems.

for most of my time with the phone I am in downtown of a major city with amazing 4g when it is doing it

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Update
Tried a wipe reset and it worked great tested off and on WiFi. No drain at all when screen was off. Installed apps slowly and tested and all was good. Then I left the phone on the charger overnight woke up and it was back to the being awake often when on 4g only. I am stumped any new idea's?

xdm9mm
Old
Thanks Meter 50
hmmm... reminds of of fast dormancy during the S3 days... I wonder if it applies to Note 3

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
hmmm... reminds of of fast dormancy during the S3 days... I wonder if it applies to Note 3
What's that?? And I actually think it's the lte now not so much 4g since I am always on the 4g network and only on lte when off of wifi

xdm9mm
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank72785 View Post
What's that?? And I actually think it's the lte now not so much 4g since I am always on the 4g network and only on lte when off of wifi
here's one link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2291100

I am not sure if it applies to Note 3

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default lemmuls which

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank72785 View Post

Read up and figured out that its the customer. Xml file It is turned to on I tried editing it but cannot save it because it is protected file I guess. Any other way to save it?

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Seems to be the bam_dmux_wakelock I googled it seems to be only when not on WiFi which is my issue. Just gotta figure out the rest

frank72785
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone know how to edit that customer. Xml file? Fast dormacy and the bam_dmux_wakelock seem to go hand in hand. Phone was all over the place today I have 47 minutes of that wakelock with about 6 hours of off WiFi time so it's a decent drain