Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,271 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Virgin LG G Pad 8.3

Tip us?

smsmasters
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Virgin LG G Pad 8.3

I've read several topics in this section but still unsure on the best way to root and install a custom recovery and upgrade to Kit Kat.

Any tips, advice and precautions before doing so?

Any recommendations for which custom recovery and kit kat ROM I should install?

Thank you all very much.
SmsMasters.co.uk - The latest technology news and information updated daily since 2002.
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

Subtleone
Old
(Last edited by Subtleone; 19th April 2014 at 04:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmasters View Post
I've read several topics in this section but still unsure on the best way to root and install a custom recovery and upgrade to Kit Kat.

Any tips, advice and precautions before doing so?

Any recommendations for which custom recovery and kit kat ROM I should install?

Thank you all very much.
Go to the top sticky in General. Use the second method to root by Dalingrin. Then install TWRP 2.6.3.2 (same thread). You are good to go. If you want a stock KitKat, there are plenty in the Android Dev thread (US, GB, etc). I use the leaked KK in my sig. It is the only one with proper gamma values. It comes at a cost: you do not get the LG app called QVoice. It also has an oddity when booting, it is dim, and you need to press off/on once to clear. After that it is flawless. I am just giving you fair warning. I nearly never turn it off, just standby, so that oddity pretty much never comes up. Otherwise, take your pick, and experiment.

Non-stock ROMS lose LG apps mostly, and some of the LG apps are very nice. QRemote is the most sought after, but there are others such as the video player with a fancy seek (and runs nearly all codecs), QTranslate, and more. Ah yes, and the fantastic weather/clock widget. Not only gorgeous (the best I have ever seen), but it also gives a neat effect if it is raining or snowing. Ex: if you see the lockscreen, and it is raining, it will make it look as if it is raining against the screen.
Phone - LG G2

ROM - OptimusRs Pro 2 Rom For LG G2 V4.3

Tablet - LG G Pad 8.3

ROM - V50018a (leaked KitKat) with improved gamma values
The Following User Says Thank You to Subtleone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smsmasters
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Thank you very much sir.

Sent from my SM-N9006 using Tapatalk
SmsMasters.co.uk - The latest technology news and information updated daily since 2002.
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

smsmasters
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
I used the GB rooted kit kat ROM. Seems to be okay apart from the gamma as you mentioned. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9006 using Tapatalk