Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 45,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help!

Tip us?

Breakthephone!
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help!

I am not sure where to post or anything, new here. Rooted, unlocked bootloader, CWM flashed to AOSB latest for atrix hd. everything is great EXCEPT my internal storage is now half the size it was before. 8Gb does not equal 4.93Gb Not sleeping at all so I will be here all night
WHAT DO?

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2852
My assumption is you didn't format the internal sd when you went from stock to anything 4.2 and over. 4.2+ roms have support for multiple users and store the sd data in a slightly different location than 4.1 and earlier. Before stuff was stored at /data/media, with 4.2+ roms it's /data/media/0 for the first/default user. I had the same issue with my first 4.2 rom.

First, if necessary, backup any non app data from the internal sd (skip any app cache, just get important files like downloads, music, etc)*
Using Philz CWM, set the internal sd location to /data/media (it'll prompt for a reboot, do it)
Format the internal sd
set the internal sd location to /data/media/0 (do the reboot again)
Format the internal sd
Restore anything backed up
That's it.

I recommend using the internal sd as little as possible and sticking with the external sd as much as possible. It shares the same partition with apps and app data, so anything on the internal sd is less space for apps.

Unrelated, but technically we could us a 32GB sdcard for /data and the internal sd while using the actual /data partition as the external sd. It would just require a bit of fstab trickery and some init script editing....and be a bit slower when launching apps, but we'd have a heck of a lot more space....not sure if it could be done in a universal way or on a per rom basis.
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison