Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 40,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] getting to hboot with fastboot flag

Tip us?

netboy3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] getting to hboot with fastboot flag

You all probably noticed that if the Settings->Power->Fastboot setting is enabled, Power+Vol_down will not work and the phone will do a standard boot. Is there anyway to force booting the phone into hboot? If not, this is a possible way to get bricked in case your ROM is messed up and the phone's last mode was to Fastboot.

xRogerxC
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy3 View Post
You all probably noticed that if the Settings->Power->Fastboot setting is enabled, Power+Vol_down will not work and the phone will do a standard boot. Is there anyway to force booting the phone into hboot? If not, this is a possible way to get bricked in case your ROM is messed up and the phone's last mode was to Fastboot.
That's exactly why we leave fastboot off in the settings
Please hit the thanks button if I've helped you out!
Motorola Moto G (XT1031), Stock ROM, rooted, bootloader unlocked, Xposed w/GravityBox
U.S. Navy Combat Vet 1984-2002
Storm Chaser/NWS Springfield MO SKYWARN Spotter
Ham Radio Callsign KC0UHS
CompTia A+, Network+, Security+ Certified Tech.
Microsoft Certified MCSA/MCSE

cntryby429
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Maybe I don't understand the question. Could you not just use:
adb reboot bootloader
or
adb reboot recovery

netboy3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryby429 View Post
Maybe I don't understand the question. Could you not just use:
adb reboot bootloader
or
adb reboot recovery
You can only use those if adbd is running which means you either were successful in booting into recovery (and you can't do it as power+vol_down doesn't work), or you have a working ROM (see the OP).

netboy3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRogerxC View Post
That's exactly why we leave fastboot off in the settings
I wish it was that simple. The ability to get to the menu seems to be related to the bootloader's ability to access /data. If the bootloader can't get to /data it looks to defaulting to NOT showing the hboot menu. I've noticed this on my phone. I have my phone encrypted which doesn't allow access to /data until you decrypt it. If you cancel out of the decrypt prompt then reboot the phone, you will not be able to power+vol_down (though I never changed the fastboot setting).

dottat
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If you are rooted you can use the app quick boot to reboot to hboot without having to do the shutdown but.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

netboy3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
If you are rooted you can use the app quick boot to reboot to hboot without having to do the shutdown but.

See the OP. Assuming your ROM is messed up and is not booting (happens a lot when your'e a flashoholic), you can't run any apps or even get to adb. I've never seen a phone that will not allow you to always be able to cold-boot into the bootloader. This is a serious problem for folks that plan to experiment with lots of ROM flashing.

dottat
Old
(Last edited by dottat; 20th April 2014 at 03:31 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 751

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
See the OP. Assuming your ROM is messed up and is not booting (happens a lot when your'e a flashoholic), you can't run any apps or even get to adb. I've never seen a phone that will not allow you to always be able to cold-boot into the bootloader. This is a serious problem for folks that plan to experiment with lots of ROM flashing.
In that case you hold power and volume buttons until the phone tells you it's going to restart or vibrates or you see the screen flash. Depending on what mode you are in it will do different things. At this point you can release power and move to only volume down.

If timed correctly you will land in hboot. Practice makes perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

netboy3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
In that case you hold power and volume buttons until the phone tells you it's going to restart or vibrates or you see the screen flash. Depending on what mode you are in it will do different things. At this point you can release power and move to only volume down.

If timed correctly you will land in hboot. Practice makes perfect.

dottat, thank you for your post. You are correct. This requires quite a bit of proper timing to succeed. To recap: In case you are in fast-boot power mode and/or have your phone encrypted and power+vol_down doesn't get you into hboot:

1. Power down the phone.
2. Hold volume_up and power.
3. Keep holding the above, you should see the animated HTC splash show up.
4. Keep holding the above, the screen will go dark.
5. Once the screen goes dark, quickly release power and volume_up and press volume_down.
6. If timed perfectly, you should land in hboot menu.

Thanks again to dottat for pointing it out.