[Q] Can't just replace TWRP with Stock 12b Recovery?

OP wolf5150

19th April 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

50 posts
Can someone point me to a thread that explains why someone on rooted stock 12b with TWRP can't simply flash a stock recovery to get the OTA? No one seems to be doing it, or even talking about doing it. Not knowing why is driving me crazy!! Thanks guys
20th April 2014, 02:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,194

4,950 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf5150

Can someone point me to a thread that explains why someone on rooted stock 12b with TWRP can't simply flash a stock recovery to get the OTA? No one seems to be doing it, or even talking about doing it. Not knowing why is driving me crazy!! Thanks guys

Yup can do it as long as nothing else is modified but most people who root modify system,files. I did exactly what you're saying except a little different. I used flashify to back up stock recovery, then I flashed twrp and when kitkat came I restored to suck recovery uninstalled xposed framework and manually installed kitkat. Then I used Autorec to install twrp again and backed up recovery worth flashify first. This time though I forgot to backup the kernel too because Autorec modifies it. So now I'll probably have to kdz to stock uhh f a later update comes unless there's a flashible zip for it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app
20th April 2014, 03:34 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 73

471 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdel12345

Yup can do it as long as nothing else is modified but most people who root modify system,files. I did exactly what you're saying except a little different. I used flashify to back up stock recovery, then I flashed twrp and when kitkat came I restored to suck recovery uninstalled xposed framework and manually installed kitkat. Then I used Autorec to install twrp again and backed up recovery worth flashify first. This time though I forgot to backup the kernel too because Autorec modifies it. So now I'll probably have to kdz to stock uhh f a later update comes unless there's a flashible zip for it.

Can you post the 12B recovery, I cannot find a copy and want to do this to update with OTA

Thanks
Matt
20th April 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdel12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimand

Can you post the 12B recovery, I cannot find a copy and want to do this to update with OTA

Thanks
Matt

I found a repository here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...41&postcount=4

When I renamed the 12b version from .bin to .img and flashed with Flashify, it factory reset my phone and even wiped internal storage. So I restored my nandroid (that I'd backed up externally), then flashed the 11a version. That installed on my 12b phone successfully.

The OTA then errors out with 0x1111004.
Upgrade Assistant tries but fails to detect the phone in ethernet mode.
In download mode the phone is detected but PC displays "Authentication fail"

I can't recall doing any mods outside of g2xposed and I've uninstalled the framework but maybe I did?
Was recovery was updated when 12b rolled out?

I'll try to dig up an earlier nandroid of my system partition and see if I can rule out other mods. Ideas welcome, thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread