Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 44,894 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] wipe gs4

Tip us?

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,550

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnall09 View Post
I understand all of that. I am currently running hyper drive installed through safestrap but it still feels governed apposed to a Google rom. We are still stuck on 4.3 and everywhere else has a later version. I still don't understand why you can't completely erase the internals to reload with a different loadout. Isn't it the same phone regardless of where you get it rather it be samsung or verizon or google?whenever we download updates it installs new cameras and radios I'm not talking about reverting I'm talking about completely shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode and install new kernels drivers and software. Just like the developers at any of the companies do except we won't have to do any testing or development
"Shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode" - yes, you can wipe the internal ROM and strip it down to download mode.
Then you have a brick which runs just the downloader. OK, it's not quite dead, because you can flash stuff. But what can you flash?

OK, so you want to "install new kernels drivers and software". That's not always possible. You flash kernels and and software using the bootloader, but the bootloader won't allow you to flash a kernel that's not pre-approved by Samsung. If you're rooted, the rest of the phone storage can be overwritten with whatever custom software you want, but there's a hitch. You can install whatever software you want EXCEPT for the kernel. (If not rooted, you can't even do that without a custom recovery, which the bootloader won't allow.)

The software that you flash depends on the kernel to drive the hardware, so you can't flash base software that requires services that the stock kernel doesn't provide. This is why only certain ROMs are available for Safestrap - you can't flash CyanogenMod on a Safestrapped i545 because CM isn't compatible with the Touchwiz kernel. It's theoretically possible to modify CM to make it work with a TW kernel, but nobody has done that (unsurprising, as it would be a lot of work that would have to be repeated each CM release.)

The bootloader chain is the way Samsung enforces the restrictions on what you can and can't do with your phone. With a locked bootloader (like ours), you're very limited. Until the bootloader protections are breached, what you propose can't be done.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cnall09
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Feel free to do what you want...but you may end up with a $600 door stop. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
well thank you so much for your permission to do what I want I was so afraid you wouldn't approve. and I have geek squad protection with unlimited replacements and no deductable so it doesn't hurt my feelings in the least bit if things don't go as planned. I know i ain't as seasoned as some of yall on here but thats how things get done by asking questions and trial/error.

cnall09
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
"Shipping the phone down to nothing but download mode" - yes, you can wipe the internal ROM and strip it down to download mode.
Then you have a brick which runs just the downloader. OK, it's not quite dead, because you can flash stuff. But what can you flash?

OK, so you want to "install new kernels drivers and software". That's not always possible. You flash kernels and and software using the bootloader, but the bootloader won't allow you to flash a kernel that's not pre-approved by Samsung. If you're rooted, the rest of the phone storage can be overwritten with whatever custom software you want, but there's a hitch. You can install whatever software you want EXCEPT for the kernel. (If not rooted, you can't even do that without a custom recovery, which the bootloader won't allow.)

The software that you flash depends on the kernel to drive the hardware, so you can't flash base software that requires services that the stock kernel doesn't provide. This is why only certain ROMs are available for Safestrap - you can't flash CyanogenMod on a Safestrapped i545 because CM isn't compatible with the Touchwiz kernel. It's theoretically possible to modify CM to make it work with a TW kernel, but nobody has done that (unsurprising, as it would be a lot of work that would have to be repeated each CM release.)

The bootloader chain is the way Samsung enforces the restrictions on what you can and can't do with your phone. With a locked bootloader (like ours), you're very limited. Until the bootloader protections are breached, what you propose can't be done.
yes sir i did mean stripped down. sorry for the typo. and ok im not talking about stripping it down just to boot a custom rom or kernel. i want authentic samsung/google software and kernels. so the samsung wouldn't even accept its on software. I apologize for seeming argumentative thats not my intent at all. im just trying to get a good idea and handle on how some of this works. i appreciate your input and help on this matter and your patience.

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,336
Quote:
yes sir i did mean stripped down. sorry for the typo. and ok im not talking about stripping it down just to boot a custom rom or kernel. i want authentic samsung/google software and kernels. so the samsung wouldn't even accept its on software. I apologize for seeming argumentative thats not my intent at all. im just trying to get a good idea and handle on how some of this works. i appreciate your input and help on this matter and your patience.
Yeah it's a good idea for someone like yourself who seems fairly new to this stuff, because what you're proposing is kind of what were trying to do to unlock the boot loader. The problem basically is that the very base software contains checks to make sure you're using Samsung approved software.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar

FordNate
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
Yeah it's a good idea for someone like yourself who seems fairly new to this stuff, because what you're proposing is kind of what were trying to do to unlock the boot loader. The problem basically is that the very base software contains checks to make sure you're using Samsung approved software.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
i know how to permanently unlock it without bricking it. Hit it with a hammer smoke a whole lot n watch in amazement as the bootloader flies out of this phone, able to be replaced of course. Just kidding dont do that, although ive been tempted
Device:
Samsung Galaxy S 4
Phillz cwm loki'd Recovery

HTC Incredible2Retired
4ext Recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to FordNate For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
well thank you so much for your permission to do what I want I was so afraid you wouldn't approve. and I have geek squad protection with unlimited replacements and no deductable so it doesn't hurt my feelings in the least bit if things don't go as planned. I know i ain't as seasoned as some of yall on here but thats how things get done by asking questions and trial/error.
reading helps too my friend....also I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that geek squad warranty coverage applies to the the misuse or negligent use of a product....you best read the fine print again.

any way good luck
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3