Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,776 Members 53,623 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Current status of rooting/custom ROMs?

Tip us?

cc16177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
Default Current status of rooting/custom ROMs?

So I just ordered an AT&T Note 3 and from what I'm reading it appears that I should be hoping it does NOT come with KK preinstalled, correct?

Everything I see tells me that if I'm on KK there is no current root method, yes?

Also, if I am able to root am I able to use the custom Roms available? I'm coming from a Nexus 5 so everything seems much more complicated over here 😛

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc16177 View Post
So I just ordered an AT&T Note 3 and from what I'm reading it appears that I should be hoping it does NOT come with KK preinstalled, correct?

Everything I see tells me that if I'm on KK there is no current root method, yes?

Also, if I am able to root am I able to use the custom Roms available? I'm coming from a Nexus 5 so everything seems much more complicated over here ��

Sure you can root KK roms, but KNOX will be triggered to 0x1 and warranty could be voided (depending on where you live). Btw i came from a N5 too
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

cc16177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
Sure you can root KK roms, but KNOX will be triggered to 0x1 and warranty could be voided (depending on where you live). Btw i came from a N5 too
If I don't care about voiding my warranty can I accept the official KK update and still get root?

Also, how do you like it compared to the N5? Did you keep your N5 or sell it?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
If I don't care about voiding my warranty can I accept the official KK update and still get root?

Also, how do you like it compared to the N5? Did you keep your N5 or sell it?

Where do you live? You can download the latest available 4.4.2 rom from here http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/ and flash it with Odin 3.07. After that flash a custom recovery and then flash the latest superSU.zip in recovery and you`re set. You can also flash a prerooted custom rom straight with a custom recovery. I sold my N5 cause i`am excited about the coming OnePlusOne phone and i might just try that one.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

cc16177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Where do you live? You can download the latest available 4.4.2 rom from here http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/ and flash it with Odin 3.07. After that flash a custom recovery and then flash the latest superSU.zip in recovery and you`re set. You can also flash a prerooted custom rom straight with a custom recovery. I sold my N5 cause i`am excited about the coming OnePlusOne phone and i might just try that one.
I live in CT. I'm reading online that its not possible to root KK on the ATT version. What carrier are you on?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
I live in CT. I'm reading online that its not possible to root KK on the ATT version. What carrier are you on?

Mine is unlocked, there are no locked phones in the Netherlands thank god. Its best you look around in the ATT Forum, you will get more info and help there, link http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-3-att

cc16177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Mine is unlocked, there are no locked phones in the Netherlands thank god.Its best you look around in the ATT Forum, you will get more info and help here
Yes it appears the att one is locked. When I originally posted this I thought I was in the att thread lol

Thanks anyways

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Yes it appears the att one is locked. When I originally posted this I thought I was in the att thread lol

Thanks anyways

There are custom roms available in the att forum so it must be possible to root it i guess

cc16177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
There are custom roms available in the att forum so it must be possible to root it i guess
Yeah as long as the one I bought ships with JB still I can root and then update to KK it seems. If it comes with KK I'm without root for now I guess.

We'll see! Fingers crossed

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Yeah as long as the one I bought ships with JB still I can root and then update to KK it seems. If it comes with KK I'm without root for now I guess.

We'll see! Fingers crossed

KK, good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]