Ask a question

No registration required

Building a car head unit

OP Gozzeh

20th April 2014, 06:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
So I've been looking at the various android car stereos and realising all of them have serious problems (Shame the manufacturer won't just open source the bloody things).

But I recently read about AMD's new systems on a socket and wondered if it would be possible to build a dual booting android and windows head unit. You can pick up a Sempron 3850 and micro ATX motherboard for under £70 (which covers CPU and GPU). I must admit I'm interested in a 1080p lilliput touch screen, then need to add the usuals such as a wifi + 3G/4G dongle, TV/DAB Radio tuner and a GPS unit. The only real joy that I can figure is how to mount the thing. The number of double din units is severely limited. I found this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bybyte-Doubl.../dp/B0076PF92Q

But it doesn't look like you can stick a dvd drive in. Ideally I'd like one that I can slide the screen out the way and stick a DVD in but the number of double din car stereo cases is pretty limited.

So has anyone done anything like this? Am I mad or does this seem like a good idea? It would be great to be able to dual boot android and windows 7/8 on such a beast
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread