Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 46,338 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tips and tricks

Tip us?

jagrave
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmisRBjr View Post
After receiving a new text message, there's an alert on the lockscreen that reads, "Messages New Message". Anyone else find this practically useless? Is there a way to get that notification to give a preview of the message?

What I've been doing is either tapping on the New Message banner then swiping in the highlighted box below to unlock and go straight to that message. Or I pull down the top panel and tap on the message preview found there. Either works, but seems like extra steps.
If you open the messaging app, go to settings, notifications, and at the bottom if you check lockscreen it will show the sender and part of the text instead of just new message. You can also turn on pop up where it shows a pop up message where you can reply to a message without going into the messaging app. Pretty convenient. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

chkn
Old
(Last edited by chkn; 16th April 2014 at 02:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Thumbs up Card scanner built into contacts app

Open contacts >menu>business cards> hit + and you have a scanner !!

BatesUKfanJ
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What about scheduled messages? It was a feature on my S4 just wondering am I missing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dclay89
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Anyone know of a way to make long pressing the home button on the lock screen turn on flashlight like in the miui rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to dclay89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evilbeef54
Old
Thanks Meter 72
1. long press on the recent apps button while looking at one of your home screens, or long press on the home screen to get your scrren menu then hit "home screen settings" uncheck "my magizine" to get rid of the magazine tab

2. go into camera and hit settings turn off picture stabilization to make the camera much more responsive and get rid of that "please hold still" delay when trying to take pics of moving targets (dogs, kids, etc)

3. until we get root third part apps will NOT save to the external SD card (your camera and some stock apps will, but playlists from 3rd party mp3, back ups from any back up app, 3rd party notepad, 3rd party alarms like smart alarm, etc will not) so be careful that if you need to back something up use dropbox or something like that these third party apps may back up to an emulated storage (still internal storage) so if you factory reset when we actually get root you will still lose everything you thought you saved

4. if someone helped you hit the thanks button, lol
Sprint Rooted Mogul Evo Evo3d GS3 GS4 GS5 (Sorry Sprint 13 years is enough)
VERIZON GS5

IF SOMEONE'S POST HELPS YOU PLEASE HIT THE THANKS BUTTON
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evilbeef54 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wataytay69
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Disable/hide apps you don't use from your app drawer: go to app drawer - long press recents/hit menu button (three vertical dots) - select "Uninstall/Disable Apps"

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to wataytay69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

armyranger172
Old
Thanks Meter 7
So I was playing around with the fingerprint scanner and wanted to add more then 3 fingerprints. When I was setting up my thumb, I also swiped my pointer finger. After the set up was complete. I found it let me unlock the phone with both fingers from the one setup. I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I figured someone out there might find it useful.

Semper Primus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armyranger172 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Maphack
Old
(Last edited by Maphack; 20th April 2014 at 09:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Already posted in the fingerprint thread but thought it could be useful here..

What I did was use the 3 allotted different fingerprints and scan my thumb at slightly different angles so I could swipe my thumb horizontally rather than vertically and it works a lot better now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maphack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

f308gt4
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyranger172 View Post
So I was playing around with the fingerprint scanner and wanted to add more then 3 fingerprints. When I was setting up my thumb, I also swiped my pointer finger. After the set up was complete. I found it let me unlock the phone with both fingers from the one setup. I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I figured someone out there might find it useful.

Semper Primus
Thanks!! Just confirmed this worked for me. I was able to use right thumb, left thumb, and index finger on just 1 fingerprint setting.

I am going to copy and paste this info into the thread I made on the Fingerprint Scanner Tips.