Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 48,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [Help?!] Abnormally low free RAM and storage?

Tip us?

destination184
Old
(Last edited by destination184; 20th April 2014 at 01:32 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] [Help?!] Abnormally low free RAM and storage?

Hello,

I'm currently running Carbon Nightly Rom (CARBON-JB-NIGHTLY-20131117-1645) with kernel 3.0.64-CM-gd6f2f4a and I'm having massive issues with RAM and Storage. I've taken screenshots to get my point across as best as I can.

I'm strangely receiving abnormally low free RAM. Whenever I type a long text or a long paragraph, the programme i'm using will crash, giving the error "Whoops! ______ Has Crashed". I'm pretty sure this is because I'm running out of memory but I have all recent apps closed and I've looked at what apps I have running and there doesn't seem to be anything too extravagant.

The other major problem I'm getting is my internal phone storage. I have the 16GB internal storage model and after flashing my custom ROM(s) (Including gapps) I've ran all the way down to 10.46GB? Leaving only my phone 2GB or so leverage meaning I have to transfer photos and downloads, etc to my SD card a lot more frequently which Is becoming quite a nuisance. I don't have a ton of apps on my phone, and the ones that are on there are all used. Only 2.78GB of apps.

I really would like to get this fixed as I use my phone pretty much 24/7 and I just find the minor issues being the most annoying as you can imagine having to transfer every photo you take to your SD card every day(almost) as well as some apps crashing due to insufficient memory. I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Due to unable to post links, I've attached 2 screenshots that just show my problems.

Many Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-19-23-05-43.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2697026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-19-23-06-54.png
Views:	28
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2697027  

JBY
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by destination184 View Post
Hello,

I'm currently running Carbon Nightly Rom (CARBON-JB-NIGHTLY-20131117-1645) with kernel 3.0.64-CM-gd6f2f4a and I'm having massive issues with RAM and Storage. I've taken screenshots to get my point across as best as I can.

I'm strangely receiving abnormally low free RAM. Whenever I type a long text or a long paragraph, the programme i'm using will crash, giving the error "Whoops! ______ Has Crashed". I'm pretty sure this is because I'm running out of memory but I have all recent apps closed and I've looked at what apps I have running and there doesn't seem to be anything too extravagant.

The other major problem I'm getting is my internal phone storage. I have the 16GB internal storage model and after flashing my custom ROM(s) (Including gapps) I've ran all the way down to 10.46GB? Leaving only my phone 2GB or so leverage meaning I have to transfer photos and downloads, etc to my SD card a lot more frequently which Is becoming quite a nuisance. I don't have a ton of apps on my phone, and the ones that are on there are all used. Only 2.78GB of apps.

I really would like to get this fixed as I use my phone pretty much 24/7 and I just find the minor issues being the most annoying as you can imagine having to transfer every photo you take to your SD card every day(almost) as well as some apps crashing due to insufficient memory. I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Due to unable to post links, I've attached 2 screenshots that just show my problems.

Many Thanks!
Looking at the screen shots, my observation is that RAM is not the real issue here. It may be high considering you are running non-TW rom. However RAM usage in all TW ROMs also shows similar usage levels and they run perfectly on N7100.

destination184
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBY View Post
Looking at the screen shots, my observation is that RAM is not the real issue here. It may be high considering you are running non-TW rom. However RAM usage in all TW ROMs also shows similar usage levels and they run perfectly on N7100.
I'm sorry but I'm quite noob at this! TWO ROMs? Could you elaborate and explain what these are and how they differ?

I was almost certain it was the RAM. Other people using same phone are using about 500MB just on applications. Mine is twice that? If I've got a handful of apps open, eventually one will crash, and keep crashing, how I fix it is simply clear my recent apps? Then it works fine again until there's too many recent apps again? I was certain it was RAM related because of it saying such low RAM when I had several apps open.

If it's not a problem with RAM, could you suggest on what it could be?

Cheers

JBY
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm quite noob at this! TWO ROMs? Could you elaborate and explain what these are and how they differ?

I was almost certain it was the RAM. Other people using same phone are using about 500MB just on applications. Mine is twice that? If I've got a handful of apps open, eventually one will crash, and keep crashing, how I fix it is simply clear my recent apps? Then it works fine again until there's too many recent apps again? I was certain it was RAM related because of it saying such low RAM when I had several apps open.

If it's not a problem with RAM, could you suggest on what it could be?

Cheers
TW: Touchwiz (Samsung stock based) I mean.

As I write, my RAM usage on my N7100 shows 1.33GB and the device is running perfectly. I am using TW based DN3 ROM with Note3 and S5 features (heavily loaded!)

Please install any other ROM and see and how your device performs. Also try TW based ROMs.

destination184
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
TW: Touchwiz (Samsung stock based) I mean.

As I write, my RAM usage on my N7100 shows 1.33GB and the device is running perfectly. I am using TW based DN3 ROM with Note3 and S5 features (heavily loaded!)

Please install any other ROM and see and how your device performs. Also try TW based ROMs.
I'm using about 1.4GB with no recent apps (Thats just applications RAM) I have about 300-200MB RAM free which I thought was really low.
If I install a new ROM, wouldn't this effect my storage problem? With only 10.46GB left, Installing new ROMs will make this number get smaller and smaller right? Is there a way to remove software that Isn't being used?

Thanks!

destination184
Old
(Last edited by destination184; 20th April 2014 at 03:16 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
update:

I Installed DiskInfo to see if I could find out where all this storage is being taken from. It's reporting that I'm using 7.7GB of data in the /data folder.
(Take a look at attachment for screenshot). So I had a look at this folder in ES File Explorer and the "dalvik-cache" folder says it's taking 448.26MB. Is this an abnormal amount? What would happen If I were to clear the dalvik-cache? In /data there is a folder which is titled 'backup' (/data/backup) but that is only 3.08KB so I don't think it's a backup taking the space.However, In the folder /data there is another folder named 'data' (/data/data) and this says its having 601.19MB within it.

I really would like to free up some internal storage but it only says that my internal storage is 10GB on a 16GB phone. Yes it was around 16GB before installing a new ROM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-20-14-28-19.png
Views:	13
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2697842  

JBY
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
update:

I Installed DiskInfo to see if I could find out where all this storage is being taken from. It's reporting that I'm using 7.7GB of data in the /data folder.
(Take a look at attachment for screenshot). So I had a look at this folder in ES File Explorer and the "dalvik-cache" folder says it's taking 448.26MB. Is this an abnormal amount? What would happen If I were to clear the dalvik-cache? In /data there is a folder which is titled 'backup' (/data/backup) but that is only 3.08KB so I don't think it's a backup taking the space.However, In the folder /data there is another folder named 'data' (/data/data) and this says its having 601.19MB within it.

I really would like to free up some internal storage but it only says that my internal storage is 10GB on a 16GB phone. Yes it was around 16GB before installing a new ROM.
You can clear cache and Dalvik cache from recovery.
System (ROM) will take 4-6GB space on on 16GB. Only balance will be available for you for apps and other data.
Meanwhile I guess you had wiped cachet/dalvik cache with every ROM installation. I suggest you test another rom and see the difference.

destination184
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You can clear cache and Dalvik cache from recovery.
System (ROM) will take 4-6GB space on on 16GB. Only balance will be available for you for apps and other data.
Meanwhile I guess you had wiped cachet/dalvik cache with every ROM installation. I suggest you test another rom and see the difference.
I cleared dalvik cache and applications cache. Didn't get much memory back as it reoptimized the apps after clearing the cache! I went around and unistalled apps I don't use. I didn't really want to result In it because I do use them, just not as frequently. But I got my internal storage space up to 4GB free.

As for RAM, I've not had much luck. Still using a ridiculous amount of memory with apps crashing whenever there is to much going on. I have to write in small sentences, send, small sentence, send, small sentence as a long paragraph etc would make the application crash, when I reopen the app, all the text would have gone. So this is starting to become a pain!

Any other suggestions that anyone can put forward?